I don't know, but adding photos and getting them just how and where you want and writing beside them on blogger is just a pain in the patoot! But anyways....
Last Thursday Haley and I took our first cake decorating class. A Wilton method class at our local craft store. The first week we really enjoyed ourselves, but only worked on a practice board and didn't really bring home anything to show. But this week we had to go armed with about two carloads of stuff including two baked cakes. (one each) We also had to bring our own frosting batches. And although we only need to use one cake mix to get the cake surfaces we need, we had to use four boxes of frosting sugar to get the desired frosting... not that we used it all by any means, but that's what was called for.
Haley had never and I mean ever frosted a cake before... I know, I am totally remiss in not letting her do more in the kitchen - it's embarrassing really. But at any rate, I knew we would be in for some trials in trying to get the frosting smooth at all, let alone cake decorating class smooth. Haley was quite frustrated, but kept hard at it and didn't give up. And then surprise, she learned several neat techniques that helped her cover up some of the crumbs that had crept into her frosting, actually all of the crumbs and every conceivable surface of cake she covered with beautiful stars and the darling cupcake design. Oh yes and dimensional dots too! We turned around to look at the work others were doing and to my surprise a girl about 18 years old
had totally given up on her cake. It wasn't a bad first attempt at all, but about half way around her edging she just gave up and sat there with her arms folded. When I asked her about it she said, I'm funny that way, I would just rather go home and start entirely from scratch than have it messed up.
She could have at least practiced on her cake and tossed it on the way out the door! How silly! But it was then that I realized how proud I was of my 12 year old. She really kept after it and was truly very happy with her results. So I'll give you one guess what we had for dessert last night.....
Comments