Skip to main content

Happy Homeschooling

So today, Haley and I undertook one of, perhaps, the biggest undertakings of our lives. We are homeschooling. Haley confessed to me after our morning break that she had been very nervous about how she would adapt. She said, she even cried before she went to sleep last night, that she would miss her friends too much and that she had made a mistake. I am happy to report that after our first lesson, Haley was enjoying herself very much and by lunch she was ready to add school every Saturday so we could complete our year sooner. (not sure I'm a go for that - but glad she is excited!)
I must admit that I too had my misgivings last night. I prayed through the night... whenever I rolled over or awoke at all, I found myself asking the Lord to help us. It was such a pleasure to teach her today. She was teachable! I'm not saying I thought she was dumb.. far from it. I'm saying she doesn't always appreciate my input. She has an unteachable spirit at times... but not today.


So this is how it went.... We were so excited that we started at 7:30. We had everything done. Dressed and ready and breakfast eaten. We got up and ate with Nolan and I read a couple of pages from Josh McDowell's, Evidence that Demands a Verdict. (which we decided would be our morning devotional)
We divided our day into 50 minute periods with a five minute break between. We had a break at 10:00 for 20 minutes, lunch at 11:30 for 45 minutes and we were done by 2:00pm.
First period: Math. We are using with Saxon Math 87 with some supplemental work from old programs that Frank has used with lots of success ie: Fractions and Decimals. This curriculum will support her beginning a full course of Algebra in the eighth grade.
Second period: Language Arts. We are starting off with Reasoning and Writing. So far it has been very easy, but it is great review. Subjects and Predicates today. We enjoyed watching Mr. Morton by School House Rock. Frank has a wealth of other material that he wants us to cover this year. Tomorrow we will also begin Spelling through Morphographs.
Third period: History. We will be correlating the textbooks that Haley would be using - Prentice Hall's Medieval through Modern Times with Abeka's History of the World in Christian Perspective.
At lunch time we continued the theme and watched a wonderful DVD by Moody Science called Journeys to the edge of Creation. I was excited to be able to get the DVDs via Netflix. So that was nice!
Lunch
Fifth Period: Handwriting/Keyboarding/Art
We spent 15 minutes of practice on improving our handwriting skills (yes, we!)
Haley worked with Mavis Beacon on her keyboarding skills (which she enjoyed so much that she is continuing to work on that now!) And then we spent 15 minutes with a very simple, but sweet book called Draw Write Now book 1. This book teaches basic 2 dimensional drawing of simple barnyard animals. And there are several other books which she would like to work through. We are also pulling together some instructional 3d drawing dvds for further practice. Since, her mother cannot draw even the simplest stick figures without help, we are both looking forward to this!
Sixth Period: Home Economics
Our guide for several weeks will be Proverbs 31. Haley picked a wonderful book called "Personal Help for Girls" by Pearables. We read chapter one and will contemplate that for the week. We are also going to be reading and "doing" Mrs. Dunwoody's Excellent Guide to Homekeeping. And we will be discovering the Flylady website over the course of the entire year.
So that about covers it.. PE will be taken care of with 3 hours a week in ballet. Music will be covered with weekly piano lessons, daily practice and singing in the youth band.

Comments

Cathi said…
Wow! Sounds fantastic! I've used several of the curriculum you mentioned. It sounds like you've got a very well-rounded plan. And Haley is adorable, of course : )
I miss you!
Cathi
Beth said…
Sounds like you had a good day to start. It's great to start with a definite schedule. Good job to both of you!!!! Praying that it will be a great success!!!!
Love you both
B

Popular posts from this blog

A Super Bowl Love Story

In late August 1996, I attended a bridal shower tea for my sister in law to be, Melanie Hull.  Her Aunt Shirley had created a beautiful party out on the back lawn, flowers and china and everyone in girly dresses. But most lovely of all was Melanie. I fell in love with her dress. It was my dream dress. Floral print. Georgette. Flowy. Bell/Cape Sleeve. Tea Length. Perfect Tea dress. I “pinned” it in my mind. That’s what we had to do back then. I knew that if I ever married – and hopefully that dashing Frank – that was the dress I wanted for my bridesmaids.  Furthermore… I had always hoped that if I could, I would provide the dresses for my bridesmaids. I had been in a couple of weddings and the expense was always difficult. It seemed like kind of a boobie prize to me. Hey, my dearest friends in the world, please be in my wedding so I can shove you over the precipice and into debt. Oh and make sure you check out my bridal registry! In January 1997, I was pretty h...

Weekend Treasure

  Here are some stock photos of the love seat, chair and ottoman we purchased on Saturday at the auction.  These pictures don't really do the set justice.  But we have determined that the retail price for these now discontinued pieces was $1899.  We topped out our auction at $500.00, so after sales tax and the 15% auction fee, we did pretty well.. paying approximately 1/3 of retail. As an added bonus, they were sold to us as "durahide" which means fake.  Frank and I used to say that Nogahide should have been named NOTaHide.  But after looking them up, they are 60% leather.. the parts that don't matter -the back, are not.  BONUS!  They are now all safely home and put away... where you say?  Where could you possibly have put all these lovely pieces of furniture? Oh, I forgot to mention that they are for the cabin.  The hope is that mice will be thoroughly repelled by the very idea of gnawing on cowhide.  And besides that, they ...

The Fourth

The Fourth didn't feel much like the Fourth here in Hawaii.  We were very surprised!  New Years Eve is a huge time of fireworks all around the beaches and everywhere you go.  But the Fourth, not so much.  We could have gone to one of three large fireworks shows on the islands, but we didn't feel like fighting traffic and people.  We opted for a drive around the island to explore new sights and places.  We drove through Hale'iwa town and investigated some kayaking rental places for later in the week.  We headed on up the island and around to the Turtle Bay area.  Years ago, my folks were blessed to be able to use a condo over in this area and always came home talking about the shrimp trucks.  If you know, or knew my folks, you probably know they aren't really "taco truck" sort of people.  However, we stopped at fumi's and picked up 2 pounds of fresh uncooked shrimp.  Never frozen, people! Heads, tentacles, and eyeballs still i...