Skip to main content

ten to one

Okay so I'm feeling a bit guilty. Since last I blogged, I have been out posted by a woman with six children 10:1. I think she actually did that many posts on purpose just to show me how absolutely lazy I was being about keeping things up to date around here! So here is what has been goin down around the porch.

Halloween: Sadly Nolan had to work on Halloween evening... he was planning on taking Haley out to the church for a party, but had to camp out at the store most of the night. I took Haley over to a friends for a ride to the church and Frank brought her home on the way home from the airport.


We made this cute tootoo with ribbons and tulle that I already had - we added .77 cents for a yard more of tulle to extend it. EASY.


The next day Haley had two good buddies over for a sleepover to celebrate her birthday (a week early) From the looks of things you would have thought it was the middle of summer around here, but they were on their way out to the jacuzzi to eat cake and drink punch. We especially all missed Claire being here.... Haley, Allison and Brynna all mentioned that they wished Claire could have been there and still lived here near us!



On Monday Nolan and I went and picked a couple of 2.5 gallon buckets of olives at a nice home that offered their olives up on freecycle. To date, we have put up 8.5 gallons of olives. Only 7 remain.... hmmmm. We have one more batch in the lye starting tonight that I will be responsible for all week, as Frank is off on a very busy place to place week.

While the girls partied, here is what the boys and I were doing....




What exactly was I doing during this process you may rightly ask yourself.... taking the pictures of course! And asking them to hold it up a bit higher to see if I liked it there. It is now hanging in all of it's glory on an amazingly ingenious hanger that was built into the piece. I simply screwed the separate angled hanger across two studs - and there is clever wiggle room built in there too - and then the boys lifted the piece onto the hanger, it fits like a puzzle. hard to describe without drawings... Man it is really heavy! Thanks Dad - and Todd & Melanie - for this lovely piece.... I love it. (it's a long story) Anyway, it is now hanging with my Christmas Spode china in it.

Christmas you say... Yes the Christmas tree is up and all of the decorations that I plan to do this year are up - except outdoor lights, but that is Frank's domain. I know.. it's not Thanksgiving yet, but in our world we only have about 35 days left at home until Christmas. We are going to be gone 5 days at Thanksgiving and 11 days just before Christmas. If I don't have Christmas 100% bought, paid for, wrapped and up by the time we leave, it won't get done. So that is the other thing that kept me from blogging.

Haley's birthday was on Thursday and when Frank got home from the airport we had ice cream sundays. Friday, Dad and Beth came for a special birthday dinner for Haley - check their link for additional pictures. We enjoyed great fun, food and the jacuzzi! They also came out to the craft fair on Saturday and then took us out to Chevy's before they left town. Nolan missed the dinner at home, and dinner out because of work and traffic school. boo. And shoot.. I was gonna take pictures of the craft fair but forgot.

Haley and I had a great day making over $200. at the Christmas craft fair. It occurred to me late Thursday that it would be a good thing to sell some things from my old business, These Unnecessary Things. That stuff went really well. So, I thank the Lord for good ideas!

I know I am forgetting a bunch of other stuff, but hopefully I can get to anything I left out sometime later this week. ha

Comments

Cathi said…
Thank you for updating! I feel totally caught up because your post was so newsy and detailed!
I promise I didn't post just to make you feel guilty...maybe just a little convicted : )
I LOVE your new cabinet! Maybe next you can post pics of your home in all its Christmas glory.
Love,
Cathi
Beth said…
Great costume Haley. The cake was beautiful...too bad there wasn't a piece left for us..hahahaha
We had a great time with you guys, the worst part was that Nolan couldn't be there for the delicious birthday dinner.
As for the house key, we will see how this will all work and whether you will get it or not.
later
Beth

Popular posts from this blog

A Super Bowl Love Story

In late August 1996, I attended a bridal shower tea for my sister in law to be, Melanie Hull.  Her Aunt Shirley had created a beautiful party out on the back lawn, flowers and china and everyone in girly dresses. But most lovely of all was Melanie. I fell in love with her dress. It was my dream dress. Floral print. Georgette. Flowy. Bell/Cape Sleeve. Tea Length. Perfect Tea dress. I “pinned” it in my mind. That’s what we had to do back then. I knew that if I ever married – and hopefully that dashing Frank – that was the dress I wanted for my bridesmaids.  Furthermore… I had always hoped that if I could, I would provide the dresses for my bridesmaids. I had been in a couple of weddings and the expense was always difficult. It seemed like kind of a boobie prize to me. Hey, my dearest friends in the world, please be in my wedding so I can shove you over the precipice and into debt. Oh and make sure you check out my bridal registry! In January 1997, I was pretty h...

Weekend Treasure

  Here are some stock photos of the love seat, chair and ottoman we purchased on Saturday at the auction.  These pictures don't really do the set justice.  But we have determined that the retail price for these now discontinued pieces was $1899.  We topped out our auction at $500.00, so after sales tax and the 15% auction fee, we did pretty well.. paying approximately 1/3 of retail. As an added bonus, they were sold to us as "durahide" which means fake.  Frank and I used to say that Nogahide should have been named NOTaHide.  But after looking them up, they are 60% leather.. the parts that don't matter -the back, are not.  BONUS!  They are now all safely home and put away... where you say?  Where could you possibly have put all these lovely pieces of furniture? Oh, I forgot to mention that they are for the cabin.  The hope is that mice will be thoroughly repelled by the very idea of gnawing on cowhide.  And besides that, they ...

The Fourth

The Fourth didn't feel much like the Fourth here in Hawaii.  We were very surprised!  New Years Eve is a huge time of fireworks all around the beaches and everywhere you go.  But the Fourth, not so much.  We could have gone to one of three large fireworks shows on the islands, but we didn't feel like fighting traffic and people.  We opted for a drive around the island to explore new sights and places.  We drove through Hale'iwa town and investigated some kayaking rental places for later in the week.  We headed on up the island and around to the Turtle Bay area.  Years ago, my folks were blessed to be able to use a condo over in this area and always came home talking about the shrimp trucks.  If you know, or knew my folks, you probably know they aren't really "taco truck" sort of people.  However, we stopped at fumi's and picked up 2 pounds of fresh uncooked shrimp.  Never frozen, people! Heads, tentacles, and eyeballs still i...