Skip to main content

Frugal Times

1 Timothy 6:8 (King James Version)
And having food and raiment let us be therewith content



Isn't that good! I saw that on a great little blog called Hillbilly Housewife. I was looking for a homemade recipe for cool whip and that's where I found it along with several other nice ideas. So, the reason for the cool whip. We had several yogurts that were out of date and the kids didn't really want to eat them - even though they still tasted fine. And truth be told, they dont really love yogurt anyways. So I found a recipe for a pie using graham cracker crust, yogurt and cool whip and then you freeze it. Well, I used up all the cool whip I had on the first one and the kids loved it. They ate it right up and didn't even know it contained yogurt at all. So I made two more, using the home made cool whip and it was even better - smoother.


Well, desperate times call for desperate measures we are trying to get totally out of debt and we are intense around here. Of course, Pam lovinglingly mocked me because almost in the same breath I told her we are planning a trip to Walt Disney World at Christmas.... But, that doesn't mean you can't work like mad on everything else huh? AND it has been in the plans forever. We have finally saved up enough points to fly everyone there and pay for our hotel for 7 days. We are staying three more days, but over near where Frank's cousin lives in Tampa. I have been saving money since the first of the year on ebay and amazon and Frank has reviewed a couple of books and we now have 1200 in that fund to pay for the car, meals and tix. Everyone is excited and looking at books from the library about where they would like to go.





So here are a couple things we've been up to.... Heather's first attempt at fried chicken! We brined the chicken for two days and it was really good....maybe just a little salty and it could have been a bit crispier too. But, all in all a good first attempt and the gravy was wonderful.


Beth, here is what I did with the extra mums that you sent us home with.


So, here is one of my money savings this week and I am very proud of myself. Every year we have planted a couple of flats - at least - of prim roses and I love them. I have wanted very much to have two or three flats to plant NOW. But I just can't bear to spend upwards of $22.00 a flat for them. So..... this is how they look after a year or two... all clumpy and ugly and they don't flower. I read up on the interent that you can dig them up and separate them and replant them. When they look like this, they don't flower because they grow in really tight together and it forces the flowers back.
Here are the happy results.... I separated enough in the first hour that I worked outside to equal two flats. I am going out as soon as I finish this post and finish them up. The total will be well over 3 flats.. Yea me - $66.00 saved.
Here is a happy returner from last year. I have found several offshoot bulbs from the cyclamen in the beds and am nurturing them into pots, as they come back so nicely each year in our shady spots. The four inch pots run about $4.99 and one this size could set me back a lot more than that so there is so more savings!


Comments

Cathi said…
Heather, you're amazing as ever! A true professional : )
Love,
Cathi
Beth said…
I've been wondering how the chicken turned out. It sure looked good.

Boy those Primroses sure looked good after you separated them...good job Miss Frugal!!!! Amazing what we can do when we decide to make a change.

Have a great day
Love you
Beth

Popular posts from this blog

A Super Bowl Love Story

In late August 1996, I attended a bridal shower tea for my sister in law to be, Melanie Hull.  Her Aunt Shirley had created a beautiful party out on the back lawn, flowers and china and everyone in girly dresses. But most lovely of all was Melanie. I fell in love with her dress. It was my dream dress. Floral print. Georgette. Flowy. Bell/Cape Sleeve. Tea Length. Perfect Tea dress. I “pinned” it in my mind. That’s what we had to do back then. I knew that if I ever married – and hopefully that dashing Frank – that was the dress I wanted for my bridesmaids.  Furthermore… I had always hoped that if I could, I would provide the dresses for my bridesmaids. I had been in a couple of weddings and the expense was always difficult. It seemed like kind of a boobie prize to me. Hey, my dearest friends in the world, please be in my wedding so I can shove you over the precipice and into debt. Oh and make sure you check out my bridal registry! In January 1997, I was pretty h...

Weekend Treasure

  Here are some stock photos of the love seat, chair and ottoman we purchased on Saturday at the auction.  These pictures don't really do the set justice.  But we have determined that the retail price for these now discontinued pieces was $1899.  We topped out our auction at $500.00, so after sales tax and the 15% auction fee, we did pretty well.. paying approximately 1/3 of retail. As an added bonus, they were sold to us as "durahide" which means fake.  Frank and I used to say that Nogahide should have been named NOTaHide.  But after looking them up, they are 60% leather.. the parts that don't matter -the back, are not.  BONUS!  They are now all safely home and put away... where you say?  Where could you possibly have put all these lovely pieces of furniture? Oh, I forgot to mention that they are for the cabin.  The hope is that mice will be thoroughly repelled by the very idea of gnawing on cowhide.  And besides that, they ...

The Fourth

The Fourth didn't feel much like the Fourth here in Hawaii.  We were very surprised!  New Years Eve is a huge time of fireworks all around the beaches and everywhere you go.  But the Fourth, not so much.  We could have gone to one of three large fireworks shows on the islands, but we didn't feel like fighting traffic and people.  We opted for a drive around the island to explore new sights and places.  We drove through Hale'iwa town and investigated some kayaking rental places for later in the week.  We headed on up the island and around to the Turtle Bay area.  Years ago, my folks were blessed to be able to use a condo over in this area and always came home talking about the shrimp trucks.  If you know, or knew my folks, you probably know they aren't really "taco truck" sort of people.  However, we stopped at fumi's and picked up 2 pounds of fresh uncooked shrimp.  Never frozen, people! Heads, tentacles, and eyeballs still i...