
Today I had Nolan harvest all the peaches off our tree. Well, Frank's tree. This is my sink three quarters full with peaches.....for the fourth time. Yes, that's right we harvested about 25 gallons of fruit off a tree that, because of the way it is planted, should only give about 5 gallons. But we aren't complaining... no sir!

Everyone got in on the action. Haley was very helpful washing and cutting the peaches into chunks and determining which ones were too ripe and should be saved for jam or fruit leather - that's tomorrow. To her right you can see the quart jars stacking up with cut fruit - carefully measured in their own jars to help determine the size of the recipe. The very large See's candy bag to her left was filled with peaches.

Here they are all measured out with four more to go.

Oh, I forgot to mention what we were making... this was my very first effort at canning with a hot water bath process. I have never done anything but make freezer jam and freeze fruit slices. Cathi convinced me that canning was not hard. It's just like sewing something at the next level or baking your first turkey - you just have to pay attention. And the results are so gratifying! So we decided to can peach pie filling. Yes Virginia, each quart jar holds the perfect amount of peach deliciousness to make one pie. And it can sit on a shelf in my pantry! Hurrah and thank you Cathi.
I used a recipe on
Canning USA, which also has a very helpful and informative tutorial. Now, we are freezing the rest of the firm peaches with a
recipe from the Food Network with my favorite, Alton Brown. I still have a sink full of peaches to process, but we are winding down. I am waiting for Frank to bring home more 1 gallon freezer bags on his way home from work. I have sent Nolan to the store three times already! I now know exactly what to have on hand the next time I start this job. And, Success!!! These are my very own peaches! A very cool picture if I do say so myself! I think I'll use it for my screen saver for awhile.

AAAAAHHHHHHH.
Comments
Good for you (and your helpers) for undertaking such a task. The sky's the limit now!
Now back to the Olympics...I love them