Skip to main content

saying goodbye to summer

Last night, Haley and I had a lovely swim in the pool. We said goodbye to summer. We said goodbye to the delicious smell of someone bbqing in the neighborhood somewhere, we said goodbye to long afternoons with nothing to do, we said goodbye to nice refreshing swims, we said goodbye to elementary school. Many of the things we said goodbye to will go on for several weeks to come, but tomorrow was a new beginning. Summer, although not over on the calendar is officially over for school kids everywhere.

Haley and Nolan show off their new school clothes....
And their new school shoes. Nolan has a convert to converse! Poor Haley, just a few minutes after this picture was taken, she went out to feed the rabbit and stepped in fresh Socks excrement. Fresh is the worst. I don't know if you have ever seen the bottom of a converse tennis shoe, but it is filled with tiny ridges and diamonds and more ridges. I was outside with a tiny screw driver for about 15 minutes digging that stuff out so she could wear her new shoes today. But we didn't loose our sense of humor. Good for me.
It's fun to have pictures in the same place each year. Someday, I'm going to line them all up together and see the progression from year to year.

Nolan heads off on his scooter, refreshed and renewed. He is ready to take on this semester in a way he has never done before. He is looking for A's and B's in some pretty tough courses. This is a make it or break it time for the nursing program. He needs those grades to be able to apply in the spring to several state nursing colleges. He also has a new girlfriend. Alyssa has been his good friend all this past year and he has known her since high school. After several months of professing that they were just friends, they have finally discovered what we all knew all along! Alyssa is also at JC, but at different times and they are anxious to support each other in their prospective studies. Good for them!
Here is Haley with all of her first day of school stuff! She had a backpack stuffed to overflowing with all of her new text books, which they handed out at round up -( it would have been nice just to find them in the classroom) but if they had done that, then she and I would have missed out on a good time last night. We spent about an hour covering her books with paper grocery bag covers. She has never had to cover her books, so it was fun to show her how to do this and how she would have fun personalizing them. It was fun to tell her how I used to do that with my mother and how sometimes, my mother would be out of bags and use old wallpaper remnants to make covers for me. Then mine looked different. Haley also had a bag for gym clothes, her lunch and a water bottle. She was loaded down!

When we got to school, Haley saw the hundreds of kids milling around and had a minor panic attack. She told me to keep on driving and drive her right back home - We could home school. She panicked that she had too much stuff and no one else was loaded down so much, so she reorganized and left the gym clothes bag behind. She nearly ripped her back pack trying to zipper it up so her things wouldn't be hanging out. She was in a lather. But I got my kiss and reassured her that it would all be fine and there she goes. Our little girl is off to middle school.

Comments

Cathi said…
Yeah for updates!
Yeah for Haley starting middle school (she looks ADORABLE).
And I knew, knew, KNEW that Nolan and Alyssa were more than just friends! Please post pictures of that pair soon.
Here's to a fantastic school year for the two of them!
Cheers and hugs,
Cathi
Beth said…
A great look for both of them. Sorry to hear about the short lived melt down for Haley. I'm sure day 2 went much better.

Luv ya,
Beth

Popular posts from this blog

A Super Bowl Love Story

In late August 1996, I attended a bridal shower tea for my sister in law to be, Melanie Hull.  Her Aunt Shirley had created a beautiful party out on the back lawn, flowers and china and everyone in girly dresses. But most lovely of all was Melanie. I fell in love with her dress. It was my dream dress. Floral print. Georgette. Flowy. Bell/Cape Sleeve. Tea Length. Perfect Tea dress. I “pinned” it in my mind. That’s what we had to do back then. I knew that if I ever married – and hopefully that dashing Frank – that was the dress I wanted for my bridesmaids.  Furthermore… I had always hoped that if I could, I would provide the dresses for my bridesmaids. I had been in a couple of weddings and the expense was always difficult. It seemed like kind of a boobie prize to me. Hey, my dearest friends in the world, please be in my wedding so I can shove you over the precipice and into debt. Oh and make sure you check out my bridal registry! In January 1997, I was pretty h...

Weekend Treasure

  Here are some stock photos of the love seat, chair and ottoman we purchased on Saturday at the auction.  These pictures don't really do the set justice.  But we have determined that the retail price for these now discontinued pieces was $1899.  We topped out our auction at $500.00, so after sales tax and the 15% auction fee, we did pretty well.. paying approximately 1/3 of retail. As an added bonus, they were sold to us as "durahide" which means fake.  Frank and I used to say that Nogahide should have been named NOTaHide.  But after looking them up, they are 60% leather.. the parts that don't matter -the back, are not.  BONUS!  They are now all safely home and put away... where you say?  Where could you possibly have put all these lovely pieces of furniture? Oh, I forgot to mention that they are for the cabin.  The hope is that mice will be thoroughly repelled by the very idea of gnawing on cowhide.  And besides that, they ...

The Fourth

The Fourth didn't feel much like the Fourth here in Hawaii.  We were very surprised!  New Years Eve is a huge time of fireworks all around the beaches and everywhere you go.  But the Fourth, not so much.  We could have gone to one of three large fireworks shows on the islands, but we didn't feel like fighting traffic and people.  We opted for a drive around the island to explore new sights and places.  We drove through Hale'iwa town and investigated some kayaking rental places for later in the week.  We headed on up the island and around to the Turtle Bay area.  Years ago, my folks were blessed to be able to use a condo over in this area and always came home talking about the shrimp trucks.  If you know, or knew my folks, you probably know they aren't really "taco truck" sort of people.  However, we stopped at fumi's and picked up 2 pounds of fresh uncooked shrimp.  Never frozen, people! Heads, tentacles, and eyeballs still i...