Skip to main content

Weekend Exploits

Wow, what a busy weekend. Very productive!! On Friday, Nolan and I drove over to Kiernan Avenue to preview the weekly car auction. This is the place that sells all of the county cars, police vehicles, etc. They also sell lots of consignments. So we came home armed with lots of information and spent the afternoon looking up vin numbers and kelly blue book numbers.

In the afternoon we turned the car over to Frank and Nolan and I put on our swimsuits and did some gardening. He helped me just about finish pulling the old ground cover and the weed paper up. We took regular dips in the pool and got a goodly amount of sun on our shoulders. We have about one more afternoon (maybe two) until I can plant my cucumbers and squash out there.

Friday night we ordered a pizza and ate it out in front in our lawn chairs while we contemplated the giant organizational project we were about to take on in the garage. After dinner we moved just about everything out of the garage, moved the shelves from one side wall more towards the center. Not quite in the middle but about 1/3 of the way over. We reorganized what was on all the shelves and made room for other things. We had give away piles and junk piles - but NO GARAGE SALE PILES. YEAH for us. Our goal was to loosen things up so that Saturday the boys could empty the storage and close that ridiculous bill down! I am happy to report that, that Mission is Accomplished. We worked ourselves to near exhaustion and called it an evening about 8:00. After gardening and the garage I was totally whipped.

Saturday the boys whipped the garage into shape, I went to my first book club meeting. We read Copper Star by Suzanne Woods Fisher. It was a great book and she came out and spoke to our group at a Bible Book Store in Turlock. My friend Esther and her cousins put on a beautiful little spread of goodies and it was just a really relaxed and enjoyable couple hours.

In the evening our friends the Kinseys came over for hotdogs, mashed potato salad, chips and a few leftover levant sandwiches from the book club. They brought a couple pies and the kids swam all evening long. Again, really relaxing nice evening.

This morning, we all got up and took Frank to the Oakland airport. We had a nice breakfast/lunch at Mimi's and took him on out to the airport. He will be gone for four days this week, so it was nice to spend all the time with him we could. We went to the Gap outlet and Old Navy and got the kids a couple of summer necessities.

We are finally home and the kids are doing some studying.

Have a good week.

Comments

Cathi said…
Thanks for the newsy post! Good for the Smiths for decluttering the garage and closing down that storage unit! Good riddance, monthly bill!
Sounds like such a productive weekend.
Hugs to all,
Cathi

Popular posts from this blog

A Super Bowl Love Story

In late August 1996, I attended a bridal shower tea for my sister in law to be, Melanie Hull.  Her Aunt Shirley had created a beautiful party out on the back lawn, flowers and china and everyone in girly dresses. But most lovely of all was Melanie. I fell in love with her dress. It was my dream dress. Floral print. Georgette. Flowy. Bell/Cape Sleeve. Tea Length. Perfect Tea dress. I “pinned” it in my mind. That’s what we had to do back then. I knew that if I ever married – and hopefully that dashing Frank – that was the dress I wanted for my bridesmaids.  Furthermore… I had always hoped that if I could, I would provide the dresses for my bridesmaids. I had been in a couple of weddings and the expense was always difficult. It seemed like kind of a boobie prize to me. Hey, my dearest friends in the world, please be in my wedding so I can shove you over the precipice and into debt. Oh and make sure you check out my bridal registry! In January 1997, I was pretty h...

Weekend Treasure

  Here are some stock photos of the love seat, chair and ottoman we purchased on Saturday at the auction.  These pictures don't really do the set justice.  But we have determined that the retail price for these now discontinued pieces was $1899.  We topped out our auction at $500.00, so after sales tax and the 15% auction fee, we did pretty well.. paying approximately 1/3 of retail. As an added bonus, they were sold to us as "durahide" which means fake.  Frank and I used to say that Nogahide should have been named NOTaHide.  But after looking them up, they are 60% leather.. the parts that don't matter -the back, are not.  BONUS!  They are now all safely home and put away... where you say?  Where could you possibly have put all these lovely pieces of furniture? Oh, I forgot to mention that they are for the cabin.  The hope is that mice will be thoroughly repelled by the very idea of gnawing on cowhide.  And besides that, they ...

The Fourth

The Fourth didn't feel much like the Fourth here in Hawaii.  We were very surprised!  New Years Eve is a huge time of fireworks all around the beaches and everywhere you go.  But the Fourth, not so much.  We could have gone to one of three large fireworks shows on the islands, but we didn't feel like fighting traffic and people.  We opted for a drive around the island to explore new sights and places.  We drove through Hale'iwa town and investigated some kayaking rental places for later in the week.  We headed on up the island and around to the Turtle Bay area.  Years ago, my folks were blessed to be able to use a condo over in this area and always came home talking about the shrimp trucks.  If you know, or knew my folks, you probably know they aren't really "taco truck" sort of people.  However, we stopped at fumi's and picked up 2 pounds of fresh uncooked shrimp.  Never frozen, people! Heads, tentacles, and eyeballs still i...