Skip to main content
So, I know it has been absolutely forever since I have posted. The weekend before last was spent getting Haley back on her toes after her flu. We did go to have our toes done on Saturday as a first day of summer treat! She actually paid for her own with the proceeds of some of her aprons. Sunday we went and saw Kung Fu Panda after church. Very cute. Then all last week Monday - Friday Haley and I attended Arts Camp at our church. I was the Vocal Instruction Teacher and had 30 soloists. Tons of little kids wanting solos and lots of little wordy one line parts that the choir was happy not to have to learn. Friday night there was a big production, but unfortunately Frank and I had scheduled our flight out to Colorado for Friday afternoon before we were aware of the Arts Camp dates - so we missed out on the big show.

Apparently though, Nolan took tons of pictures for me and I will be posting them as soon as I get home. Right now, I am sitting in our fabulous room at the Keystone Lodge. It has a loft for the wonderful king sized bed and down stairs is a large seating room with balcony that overlooks the river. There is a spiral staircase up to the loft - very romantic. If you click on the link you can see a picture that is very similar to the room we are staying in. There is a railing at the top of the stairs and our room has been redone in Ralph Lauren furnishings - very nice. This is our third anniversary here. Frank is quite often asked to participate in a conference here for the Rocky Mountain region and it always falls quite near our anniversary. We will celebrate number 12 on the 29th.

We have had a very nice time. Frank didn't have to train at all until Sunday afternoon and then again all day today. This trip has been particularly fun for us as it has been totally free for me to go with. We had points on Southwest which we used for a free flight and everything else has been covered. Our days have been quite and restful - just exactly what we both needed. We shopped so much at the outlets that we are having trouble packing our bags today. Great bargains for all, but especially Frank makes out at the outlets, as they always seem to have lots of stores that fit the bill for his dressier needs.

Just one small disappointment. Our much anticipated return to our favorite restaurant up the ski lift was not to be had. They are building a new ski lift this year and they have closed the restaurant until next year. So we sadly drug ourselves over to another fondue restaurant in Breckenridge and found that although the atmosphere wasn't quite what we had experienced at the other, this was quite good and quite a bit cheaper. win win.

Every time we get here, we remember how much the kids enjoyed it the first year we were here and how we should try to bring them again. The resort offers all sorts of free activities - mountain biking, hiking, beaver watching, etc. The first time we were here, Haley had just been riding her new big bike for a short time and she wanted to try the beginning mountain biking class with Nolan. They went off together, but before long Nolan was back at the room with a crying, bleeding Haley. She had gone over the handle bars and needed a little tending to. Nolan dashed back to join the class and they all thought he was very nice to take such good care of his little sister. In fact, when we went back to use a couple of the peddle boats on the lake they all commented about it and asked if she was okay.

Nolan has finished his anatomy class. His physical therapist knew about this particular summer course and described it as, "Taking a drink out of a fire hose". It was an intense six weeks. He went six hours a day four days a week and spent easily as much time studying for it in the evenings. He passed the class with a high C. He had hoped and worked very hard for better - but we are all pleased that he has learned and applied some new more disciplined study tactics. Taking this summer class puts him on course to begin the nursing program next Fall. He will have all his credits in place to get his AA after this spring and they are all transferable courses to either UC or State colleges. He will have one more year after the nursing courses at MJC to finish up his RN degree. He is at home holding down the fort with Haley and it sounds like they have had a really good time. Although, it has been 107f most of the weekend. So they had to take extra care of the pets.

I will be posting pictures tomorrow after we arrive home.

If you follow the blog for my mom's writings at all, it has finally been updated as well.

Blessings on you.

Comments

Cathi said…
Your weekend away sounds wonderful, Heather! Maybe Don and I can join you for your 20th anniversary : ).
Good for Nolan for passing such a demanding course! Thanks for the newsy update...

Popular posts from this blog

A Super Bowl Love Story

In late August 1996, I attended a bridal shower tea for my sister in law to be, Melanie Hull.  Her Aunt Shirley had created a beautiful party out on the back lawn, flowers and china and everyone in girly dresses. But most lovely of all was Melanie. I fell in love with her dress. It was my dream dress. Floral print. Georgette. Flowy. Bell/Cape Sleeve. Tea Length. Perfect Tea dress. I “pinned” it in my mind. That’s what we had to do back then. I knew that if I ever married – and hopefully that dashing Frank – that was the dress I wanted for my bridesmaids.  Furthermore… I had always hoped that if I could, I would provide the dresses for my bridesmaids. I had been in a couple of weddings and the expense was always difficult. It seemed like kind of a boobie prize to me. Hey, my dearest friends in the world, please be in my wedding so I can shove you over the precipice and into debt. Oh and make sure you check out my bridal registry! In January 1997, I was pretty h...

Weekend Treasure

  Here are some stock photos of the love seat, chair and ottoman we purchased on Saturday at the auction.  These pictures don't really do the set justice.  But we have determined that the retail price for these now discontinued pieces was $1899.  We topped out our auction at $500.00, so after sales tax and the 15% auction fee, we did pretty well.. paying approximately 1/3 of retail. As an added bonus, they were sold to us as "durahide" which means fake.  Frank and I used to say that Nogahide should have been named NOTaHide.  But after looking them up, they are 60% leather.. the parts that don't matter -the back, are not.  BONUS!  They are now all safely home and put away... where you say?  Where could you possibly have put all these lovely pieces of furniture? Oh, I forgot to mention that they are for the cabin.  The hope is that mice will be thoroughly repelled by the very idea of gnawing on cowhide.  And besides that, they ...

The Fourth

The Fourth didn't feel much like the Fourth here in Hawaii.  We were very surprised!  New Years Eve is a huge time of fireworks all around the beaches and everywhere you go.  But the Fourth, not so much.  We could have gone to one of three large fireworks shows on the islands, but we didn't feel like fighting traffic and people.  We opted for a drive around the island to explore new sights and places.  We drove through Hale'iwa town and investigated some kayaking rental places for later in the week.  We headed on up the island and around to the Turtle Bay area.  Years ago, my folks were blessed to be able to use a condo over in this area and always came home talking about the shrimp trucks.  If you know, or knew my folks, you probably know they aren't really "taco truck" sort of people.  However, we stopped at fumi's and picked up 2 pounds of fresh uncooked shrimp.  Never frozen, people! Heads, tentacles, and eyeballs still i...