Skip to main content

It has begun.




Our old Christmas tree finally bit the dust.  And since I don't live near enough to my dear friend's Christmas tree farm we opt for the Costco prelit version.  We have been puting off getting a new one for a couple of years now.  The strands on the old kept going out.  Last year I put all new lights on it, but the old wired ones are still there and look like you have strands out - because you do. 

So, we have looked and looked for a nice tree for our spot.  This year, Costco offered a nine foot.  It works perfectly in our spot- though a bit wider at the base than our other "slim" tree.  It is a very heavy detailed tree and we love the way it looks, although, with all the technology, you think they would figure out a way to infuse it with a delicious pine scent. (Quit cursing, Cathi!)  Once it was in place, my furniture in that room just didn't work.  I moved the couch, chair and rocker from the den into this room.  The couch and chair are getting quite ratty and it will be good to have them in here where they will get less wear and tear.  The leather chairs and ottomans and the morris chairs have been moved into the den.  I am going to send my recliner out for some repair over the holidays so I won't have that to contend with.  Also I think I am going to take an extra rocker or two to the cabin. 

Last week, Nolan put up the Christmas lights.  We haven't turned them on yet - well we did to check them, but not for regular display.  He was free and needed a little extra cash.  Win win. 

Tomorrow after church, I will dig into my Christmas closet.  That is a scarry venture.  It is long, narrow and deep.  Everything needs to come out before you can reach anything.  But as Frank will be gone all week, it is a good time to thoroughly rip up the house!  More to follow.

Comments

Cathi said…
Your artificial tree looks absolutely lovely! And you obviously wouldn't be able to put up a real tree in early November, so maybe you're onto something there ;)
Please come and decorate my house.
Thank you.
Haley said…
My mom is carrying on a tradition that started with her mom: decorating for christmas reeeeaaaaaly early. I told my mom that it just would not feel like my birthday unless she put my presents under the tree (she does that every year). I hope to carry on this tradition when I have my own house!

Popular posts from this blog

A Super Bowl Love Story

In late August 1996, I attended a bridal shower tea for my sister in law to be, Melanie Hull.  Her Aunt Shirley had created a beautiful party out on the back lawn, flowers and china and everyone in girly dresses. But most lovely of all was Melanie. I fell in love with her dress. It was my dream dress. Floral print. Georgette. Flowy. Bell/Cape Sleeve. Tea Length. Perfect Tea dress. I “pinned” it in my mind. That’s what we had to do back then. I knew that if I ever married – and hopefully that dashing Frank – that was the dress I wanted for my bridesmaids.  Furthermore… I had always hoped that if I could, I would provide the dresses for my bridesmaids. I had been in a couple of weddings and the expense was always difficult. It seemed like kind of a boobie prize to me. Hey, my dearest friends in the world, please be in my wedding so I can shove you over the precipice and into debt. Oh and make sure you check out my bridal registry! In January 1997, I was pretty h...

Weekend Treasure

  Here are some stock photos of the love seat, chair and ottoman we purchased on Saturday at the auction.  These pictures don't really do the set justice.  But we have determined that the retail price for these now discontinued pieces was $1899.  We topped out our auction at $500.00, so after sales tax and the 15% auction fee, we did pretty well.. paying approximately 1/3 of retail. As an added bonus, they were sold to us as "durahide" which means fake.  Frank and I used to say that Nogahide should have been named NOTaHide.  But after looking them up, they are 60% leather.. the parts that don't matter -the back, are not.  BONUS!  They are now all safely home and put away... where you say?  Where could you possibly have put all these lovely pieces of furniture? Oh, I forgot to mention that they are for the cabin.  The hope is that mice will be thoroughly repelled by the very idea of gnawing on cowhide.  And besides that, they ...

The Fourth

The Fourth didn't feel much like the Fourth here in Hawaii.  We were very surprised!  New Years Eve is a huge time of fireworks all around the beaches and everywhere you go.  But the Fourth, not so much.  We could have gone to one of three large fireworks shows on the islands, but we didn't feel like fighting traffic and people.  We opted for a drive around the island to explore new sights and places.  We drove through Hale'iwa town and investigated some kayaking rental places for later in the week.  We headed on up the island and around to the Turtle Bay area.  Years ago, my folks were blessed to be able to use a condo over in this area and always came home talking about the shrimp trucks.  If you know, or knew my folks, you probably know they aren't really "taco truck" sort of people.  However, we stopped at fumi's and picked up 2 pounds of fresh uncooked shrimp.  Never frozen, people! Heads, tentacles, and eyeballs still i...