Skip to main content

A post just for Dad

So here is a post just for my Dad.... and any other lurking woodworkers out there... 

So Dad, this weekend we brought home those two neat rockers from the cabin.  I brought them home to recover one myself and have the other done.  Here is the "before" picture to refresh your memory.  Not a great picture, but I wasn't thinking about doing "before" pictures of the rockers. 
So, Monday morning I took the leather upholstered rocker the one at the bottom left corner to the upholsterer who has done all my stuff.  I took it over to him because the cushion has springs, and although I have tackled that sort of thing before it isn't my favorite.  But after all, I felt his price was too high.  So I hauled it home and decided to tackle it myself.  The other rocker has come out beautifully, by the way, although it still needs a bit of gluing. 
Well anyways, today I pulled the leather off the front and back of the chair back and imagine my surprise when I found this.....






Which now leads me to several questions.... 

Is it remotely possible that it was in fact supposed to be an upholstered back and that this middle piece was just a support? 
And if so, why would it be decorative at all? 
I do really like the back and would MUCH prefer not to reupholster it again.  So do you think that the tack holes can be effectively filled in? 
I think it will need to be stripped, etc... what products do you think are most effective these days for this sort of a job. 

So Dad, What say you?  You can respond via email or by posting a comment.  Thanks!

So here's what Dad said.....

Hi Heather:



Nice surprise. I believe that is the original part of the chair. It wouldn't be in that shape if it were just meant for support.


Yes I think you will need to strip the rocker and fill all the holes. I haven't kept up with materials for some time now but I would think if you checked at an antique store or collective you could find Greens or US Cellulose for stripping. Just get the thin since you aren't stripping paint. I would fill the holes with an oak filler. (I'm assuming the wood is oak).






Sounds like fun. Good luck.






Dad

Comments

Unknown said…
it is wierd that the middle design is the same as our dining room chairs--maybe same company

pam
Cathi said…
Heather, good for you for doing this yourself! I can see you're going to work miracles on the cabin, one chair at a time : )

Popular posts from this blog

A Super Bowl Love Story

In late August 1996, I attended a bridal shower tea for my sister in law to be, Melanie Hull.  Her Aunt Shirley had created a beautiful party out on the back lawn, flowers and china and everyone in girly dresses. But most lovely of all was Melanie. I fell in love with her dress. It was my dream dress. Floral print. Georgette. Flowy. Bell/Cape Sleeve. Tea Length. Perfect Tea dress. I “pinned” it in my mind. That’s what we had to do back then. I knew that if I ever married – and hopefully that dashing Frank – that was the dress I wanted for my bridesmaids.  Furthermore… I had always hoped that if I could, I would provide the dresses for my bridesmaids. I had been in a couple of weddings and the expense was always difficult. It seemed like kind of a boobie prize to me. Hey, my dearest friends in the world, please be in my wedding so I can shove you over the precipice and into debt. Oh and make sure you check out my bridal registry! In January 1997, I was pretty h...

Weekend Treasure

  Here are some stock photos of the love seat, chair and ottoman we purchased on Saturday at the auction.  These pictures don't really do the set justice.  But we have determined that the retail price for these now discontinued pieces was $1899.  We topped out our auction at $500.00, so after sales tax and the 15% auction fee, we did pretty well.. paying approximately 1/3 of retail. As an added bonus, they were sold to us as "durahide" which means fake.  Frank and I used to say that Nogahide should have been named NOTaHide.  But after looking them up, they are 60% leather.. the parts that don't matter -the back, are not.  BONUS!  They are now all safely home and put away... where you say?  Where could you possibly have put all these lovely pieces of furniture? Oh, I forgot to mention that they are for the cabin.  The hope is that mice will be thoroughly repelled by the very idea of gnawing on cowhide.  And besides that, they ...

The Fourth

The Fourth didn't feel much like the Fourth here in Hawaii.  We were very surprised!  New Years Eve is a huge time of fireworks all around the beaches and everywhere you go.  But the Fourth, not so much.  We could have gone to one of three large fireworks shows on the islands, but we didn't feel like fighting traffic and people.  We opted for a drive around the island to explore new sights and places.  We drove through Hale'iwa town and investigated some kayaking rental places for later in the week.  We headed on up the island and around to the Turtle Bay area.  Years ago, my folks were blessed to be able to use a condo over in this area and always came home talking about the shrimp trucks.  If you know, or knew my folks, you probably know they aren't really "taco truck" sort of people.  However, we stopped at fumi's and picked up 2 pounds of fresh uncooked shrimp.  Never frozen, people! Heads, tentacles, and eyeballs still i...