So here's what's happening in the Smith house these days. First of all, we have more plums than we know what to do with! I have made a large batch of yummy jam and have frozen enough for at least two more batches and they keep fallin every day. Any ideas? I'm thinking about some sort of a cobbler or something for this weekend.
Nolan's surgery was yesterday. It went very well.. the doc felt like it was probably congenital and not a break down over time which is a good thing. It means he probably won't be as restricted over the long haul about lifting. They didn't need to patch it or anything, just stitch it back up. He is recovering nicely. I always get nervous about bringing him home. He tends to bleed more than he should, or get overly nauseous. So, I am always on high alert. I made a nice chicken soup in the morning and tried my hand at an Internet beer bread recipe - which was terrible and landed in the trash, will try again later this week. The soup came in handy later in the day when Nolan finally decided he was hungry. He'll be mostly down this weekend, although he can start getting in the pool on Friday afternoon - so he's happy about that. He can't lift anything more than 5 pounds or so for the next six weeks. So, there goes my best helper, but Frank is home all month with lots of vacation time so all will be fine.
Haley has been gone to camp. This worked out perfect as Frank and I were in PA Saturday through Tuesday. She left Monday afternoon, so Nolan and she only had to make things work at home together for a couple of short days. She gets home at 2:00 or so today, then she heads right off to her first summer ballet class which will run Tuesdays and Thursdays all through July. Next Tuesday evening, we start a cake decorating class together, also Tues/Thurs through July. We are really looking forward to this!
As I said, Frank is home for the rest of the month, giving him time to rest up and get himself together before the craziness of August starts in. Today is the first day of his fiscal year and his contract, so he is treating this as his New Years day.
I am entrenched in the kitchen and working on meals for all month. At least the preps for them... more to come on that. And I am just so glad to be home in my own kitchen and in my own house! Traveling has been great but it is just great to get back to your own sweet life.
Comments