Skip to main content

July 2010 Menu

So here's what's on the Smith's menu for July 2010.  I'll let you know how it goes. 

30  Quick chicken noodle soup in the crock pot
1    Zucchini Squash Casserole (make 2)
2    Pasta Meal
3    Leftovers from week
4    BBQ grill Frank's choice from our new 1/8 of a grass fed cow.. with fresh corn and spinach salad   homemade vanilla ice cream and cobbler.
5.   Mushroom Barley crock pot with leftovers from grill
6.   Chopped Salad with orzo
7.   Chinese Spaghetti
8.   Enchilada Casserole (make 2)
9    Home made pizza - have never been able to make this, but trying again.
10. leftovers
11. Pot Roast in bag or crock pot for after church on Sunday. Strawberry ice cream to use up balance of large size cream and 1/2 and 1/2 bought for fourth of July.
12. Crock pot roast sandwiches with bell peppers and mushrooms
13. Taco Salad
14. Meat loaf (make 2) Mashed potatoes and broccoli
15. Pasta meal (make lots of sauce and make lasagna for next week - freeze.
16. Imperial Garden if Nolan's up to it.  Using Gift Certificate from Restaurant.com
17. Grilled something from freezer with local fresh veggies from farmers market
18. Crock pot whole chicken for after church. Pineapple upside down cake
19. Home made chicken soup using bones from yesterday.  with home made noodles or dumplings
20. lasagna and salad
21. chicken mint cous cous with apricots
22. tabullah salad with leftover cous cous and fresh watermelon
23. tacos
24. leftovers
25. steak on grill, potato salad, fresh corn. Buttermilk brownies
26. Stir Fry
27. Chinese chicken salad
28. Roast
29. leftovers
30. Clean out fridge and freezer beef soup
31. zucchini squash casserole
01. Material Grill using coupon from restaurant.com with code SUMMER for 80% off.  Gift certificate of $25.00 purchased for $2.00.  The stipulation is that you purchase $35.00 worth of food.  Not bad for $12.00. 

I am using a dry cream soup mix that I found a recipe for, for my zucchini squash casserole today.  About a year ago, I picked up about 5 lbs of dry milk from freecycle.  This recipe makes enough dry mix to equal 12 cans of Cream of Mushroom or any Cream of soup that you use.  Since the most expensive part I already had and needed to use up, I figured I would give it a try. 

3 cups powdered milk
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup powdered chicken bouillon
2 T onion powder
1 t dried thyme
1/2 t dried basil
1/2 t black pepper

Mix together and store in air tight container for up to 1 year.  Mix 1/2 cup dry soup mix with 1 1/4 cups water, 1 T butter and anything chopped in you want to add. 

taken from a great book called Family Feasts for $75 a week by Mary Ostyn.   Here is her darling and very informative blog... Owlhaven.

Comments

Cathi said…
Oh my. I so want to be there on the 4th! Don't be shocked if I show up on your doorstep. : )
You're doing great...I can't wait to see how this went for you. Let me know if it actually is $75...
Love,
Cathi

Popular posts from this blog

A Super Bowl Love Story

In late August 1996, I attended a bridal shower tea for my sister in law to be, Melanie Hull.  Her Aunt Shirley had created a beautiful party out on the back lawn, flowers and china and everyone in girly dresses. But most lovely of all was Melanie. I fell in love with her dress. It was my dream dress. Floral print. Georgette. Flowy. Bell/Cape Sleeve. Tea Length. Perfect Tea dress. I “pinned” it in my mind. That’s what we had to do back then. I knew that if I ever married – and hopefully that dashing Frank – that was the dress I wanted for my bridesmaids.  Furthermore… I had always hoped that if I could, I would provide the dresses for my bridesmaids. I had been in a couple of weddings and the expense was always difficult. It seemed like kind of a boobie prize to me. Hey, my dearest friends in the world, please be in my wedding so I can shove you over the precipice and into debt. Oh and make sure you check out my bridal registry! In January 1997, I was pretty h...

Weekend Treasure

  Here are some stock photos of the love seat, chair and ottoman we purchased on Saturday at the auction.  These pictures don't really do the set justice.  But we have determined that the retail price for these now discontinued pieces was $1899.  We topped out our auction at $500.00, so after sales tax and the 15% auction fee, we did pretty well.. paying approximately 1/3 of retail. As an added bonus, they were sold to us as "durahide" which means fake.  Frank and I used to say that Nogahide should have been named NOTaHide.  But after looking them up, they are 60% leather.. the parts that don't matter -the back, are not.  BONUS!  They are now all safely home and put away... where you say?  Where could you possibly have put all these lovely pieces of furniture? Oh, I forgot to mention that they are for the cabin.  The hope is that mice will be thoroughly repelled by the very idea of gnawing on cowhide.  And besides that, they ...

The Fourth

The Fourth didn't feel much like the Fourth here in Hawaii.  We were very surprised!  New Years Eve is a huge time of fireworks all around the beaches and everywhere you go.  But the Fourth, not so much.  We could have gone to one of three large fireworks shows on the islands, but we didn't feel like fighting traffic and people.  We opted for a drive around the island to explore new sights and places.  We drove through Hale'iwa town and investigated some kayaking rental places for later in the week.  We headed on up the island and around to the Turtle Bay area.  Years ago, my folks were blessed to be able to use a condo over in this area and always came home talking about the shrimp trucks.  If you know, or knew my folks, you probably know they aren't really "taco truck" sort of people.  However, we stopped at fumi's and picked up 2 pounds of fresh uncooked shrimp.  Never frozen, people! Heads, tentacles, and eyeballs still i...