Skip to main content

frugal update

So here is a review of how the food plan has been going so far...

30th Quick chicken noodle soup in the crock pot.  This was a welcome relief when we got Nolan home from the hospital.  He was able to have a bit of the broth and I knew I had something easy for everyone.  I also tried my hand at a homemade beer bread recipe, but it was a bust and got thrown out.  It called for too much baking powder so the whole deal was too salty tasting. 

1 Zucchini Squash Casserole (make 2): Yep. And again with the beer bread.  This time it was quite good.  3 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 1T baking powder, 1 12 oz can beer and 1/4 cup melted butter.  Mix dry with beer and put in loaf pan, you can add cheese if desired and then pour the melted butter over the top of the batter.  Bake at 350 for 1 hour.  Yum yum.

2 Pasta Meal: Nope, I made enchilada casserole and it was yummy.  For lunch everyone had their choice of chicken noodle soup - not the kids fav - or zucchini squash casserole. 

3 Leftovers from week: yep.

4 BBQ grill Frank's choice from our new 1/8 of a grass fed cow.. with fresh corn and spinach salad homemade vanilla ice cream and cobbler: Frank found a wonderful sale on pork chops and we grilled them instead of our cow.  Fresh corn, potato salad, home made ice cream and my first real from scratch pie.  It was plum.  Yum Yum.

5. Mushroom Barley crock pot with leftovers from grill: Ribs with leftover potato salad.

6. Chopped Salad with orzo: Nolan had a friend over and I had three tomatoes that were in danger of going bad, so I made my own sort of sauce for pasta... mushrooms, tomatoes and onions simmered in butter and then I added about 1/2 cup of flour and cooked for a bit before adding milk.  As this cooked down into a nice "cream" sauce, I added about a cup of of canned spaghetti sauce and seasonings.  We had this with spinach salad and buttermilk brownies - Nolan's special favorite.  For lunch we had rib sandwiches.  Also today we went and saw a free movie - all of us went and saw Wallace and Grommit

7. Chinese Spaghetti: instead we had leftovers of the great pasta I made on the sixth, we finished up the last of the box of spinach from Costco with pre-chopped mushrooms and walnuts Nolan had just found in the garage and cracked for us. For Lunch we had pastrami sandwiches on old rolls dug out of the freezer. Free movie again today, cloudy with a chance of meatballs. 

8. Enchilada Casserole (make 2) : tonight shall be a lovely tri tip that Frank got on sale over the fourth weekend. It has been marinating nicely for a day and we will finish up a pile of broccoli I bought before it goes bad.  And we have still the final of the pasta to finish for lunch.

Other frugal concessions:  The cable is off and the house is quiet!  hurray.  Last night we watched Kiss me Kate and discovered that we have dozens of unwatched dvds at our disposal - that we own!   Frank and I have been putting together a box of fun things we have purchased to do with the kids and have never gotten around to... so last night we all discovered the joys of Blendy Pens, purchased at Costco last Christmas.  We all sat around and colored before the movie and it was great fun. The gym will be cancelled today.  Frank and I are limited to one can of diet pop a day and we got a super deal over the fourth on them... about 18 cents per can.  I have dozens of books now listed on amazon and we are working like crazy people for a big yard sale on saturday

Comments

Cathi said…
I am so proud of you!

Popular posts from this blog

A Super Bowl Love Story

In late August 1996, I attended a bridal shower tea for my sister in law to be, Melanie Hull.  Her Aunt Shirley had created a beautiful party out on the back lawn, flowers and china and everyone in girly dresses. But most lovely of all was Melanie. I fell in love with her dress. It was my dream dress. Floral print. Georgette. Flowy. Bell/Cape Sleeve. Tea Length. Perfect Tea dress. I “pinned” it in my mind. That’s what we had to do back then. I knew that if I ever married – and hopefully that dashing Frank – that was the dress I wanted for my bridesmaids.  Furthermore… I had always hoped that if I could, I would provide the dresses for my bridesmaids. I had been in a couple of weddings and the expense was always difficult. It seemed like kind of a boobie prize to me. Hey, my dearest friends in the world, please be in my wedding so I can shove you over the precipice and into debt. Oh and make sure you check out my bridal registry! In January 1997, I was pretty h...

Weekend Treasure

  Here are some stock photos of the love seat, chair and ottoman we purchased on Saturday at the auction.  These pictures don't really do the set justice.  But we have determined that the retail price for these now discontinued pieces was $1899.  We topped out our auction at $500.00, so after sales tax and the 15% auction fee, we did pretty well.. paying approximately 1/3 of retail. As an added bonus, they were sold to us as "durahide" which means fake.  Frank and I used to say that Nogahide should have been named NOTaHide.  But after looking them up, they are 60% leather.. the parts that don't matter -the back, are not.  BONUS!  They are now all safely home and put away... where you say?  Where could you possibly have put all these lovely pieces of furniture? Oh, I forgot to mention that they are for the cabin.  The hope is that mice will be thoroughly repelled by the very idea of gnawing on cowhide.  And besides that, they ...

The Fourth

The Fourth didn't feel much like the Fourth here in Hawaii.  We were very surprised!  New Years Eve is a huge time of fireworks all around the beaches and everywhere you go.  But the Fourth, not so much.  We could have gone to one of three large fireworks shows on the islands, but we didn't feel like fighting traffic and people.  We opted for a drive around the island to explore new sights and places.  We drove through Hale'iwa town and investigated some kayaking rental places for later in the week.  We headed on up the island and around to the Turtle Bay area.  Years ago, my folks were blessed to be able to use a condo over in this area and always came home talking about the shrimp trucks.  If you know, or knew my folks, you probably know they aren't really "taco truck" sort of people.  However, we stopped at fumi's and picked up 2 pounds of fresh uncooked shrimp.  Never frozen, people! Heads, tentacles, and eyeballs still i...