Skip to main content
What an absolutely delightful time we had on our anniversary weekend! We left Thursday evening and after a delayed flight and a much delayed rental car, we made our way to the Fairfield Inn for some much needed sleep. We got up in the morning, had a little breakfast, worked out, got cleaned up and headed up the road to Canada. On the way, we stopped in the little town of Everett and went in to the visitors center - the man we met there had been a resident librarian in Modesto for 20 years. Small world. He sent us on to a small antiquing town called Snohomish. Above and the next couple of pictures were taken there. Sometimes I wish it were cool enough in Modesto to grow these wonderful baskets - especially with the nasturtiums. But I suppose is I got my wish I wouldn't have dozens of tomatoes on the vine!!
Frank at the little seafood restaurant where we had fish and chips in Snohomish.


Frank on the street in Snohomish.
And below a funny little sign I had to take a picture of - a little business that had gone out.

When we arrived in Aldergrove, we headed pretty promptly over to Krause's to show Frank all the berry wonders that awaited him. Below he is talking with Don about the different varieties grown in their area.


Here are a few of the strawberries we picked the following morning with Don and the girls in the U-Pick fields. You can see several of these pictures on Cathi's blog. I think she was afraid, I wasn't going to post anything about this for six weeks - I'm as shocked as you! I can't imagine why she might think that.

We walked through the black berry fields to the U-Pick strawberries and Jordyn hopped a ride on her new favorite visitor - "Mr. Smith" She was his constant companion throughout the weekend. Wanting very little to do with me at all. Frank thought this was pretty great and gave him ideas about how to steal my future (not even thought of yet) grandchildren from me.



Half the fun is getting there!


I love Strawberries! Aren't they pretty!



At Minter Gardens - also already blogged about on the Full House site! - Don took this great set of anniversary pictures of us in front of this little front of a church.




We had such a lovely day with Don and Cathi at Minter Gardens. It was just a 45 minute drive from their home and it was so beautiful. Mr. Nicholas was a charming traveler and didn't give anyone a minute of trouble! I don't think he ever does!



On Sunday, we had good intentions about church, but somehow never got there. We decided that something needed to be done about the cherry problem at the Murphy house. Two enormous trees were completely loaded with cherries, one bing the other Queen Anne. The bings were ready. Nobody loves a good cherry like Frank Smith, so something just had to be done! Cathi has wonderful recipes for her cherries and decided to get busy on a scrumptous dessert. Their queen anne tree below.


The boys harvested cherries - They brought in about three garbage bags full - maybe more and I washed and pitted them- with Cathi's marvelous pitter. And Cathi boiled them down in a simple syrup, much like the way you would make cranberry sauce. Then she defrosted a very rich chocolate cake and made home made chocolate syrup. We had ice cream and cherry sauce and hot fudge sauce over ice cream for dessert. Yum, Yum.
A cherry bath

Pitted Cherries
cherry sauce.
Then we got the brilliant idea - or Cathi did to make enough for me to take home as well!! More bathing, pitting, stirring, sugar, water, etc. We bagged them in individual bags enough for one evening of decadence and packed them in a handy dandy plastic container with a screw on lid. The sauces spent the night in the deep freeze and then went into my suitcase, which I checked. It made it home without incident, Cathi, completely fine and so did all the other treasures!


Miss Jordyn on our final day.



Cathi and the darling Nick.





The girls say goodbye.
So here is what I can't believe.... I didn't get one picture of Dylan and Sean. Not one! Last night, Frank and I stayed up with the boys till the wee hours playing a game Sean taught us called Golf Rummy. It was so fun and they were a hoot!
Don and Cathi, as always were the consummate hosts. Taking care of our every need and whim. Cathi, you are the hostess with the mostest. The meals were all delicious, the conversation sparkling and the laughs great! I can't believe we have known each other for 30 years. It makes getting together with you very special!! Don, you are a great host and a great husband and dad. We have both really enjoyed getting to know you and I am glad my dear friend has such a great man to share her life with!
There is so much more to tell, I couldn't possibly fit it all in one blog. I'll just have to save it for another time.

Comments

Cathi said…
Heather, it's so great to have you "back in the saddle," so to speak!
We, too, had a lovely, much needed fun weekend with you. Thanks for travelling all that way! I'm so glad your cherries made it home safely and I trust you'll think of me fondly every time you enjoy them over ice cream : )
And the reason you never got a single picture of the boys is because your camera was never in the "gaming den."
Can't wait to see you in August! We have to talk about dates because our trip is ON!

Popular posts from this blog

A Super Bowl Love Story

In late August 1996, I attended a bridal shower tea for my sister in law to be, Melanie Hull.  Her Aunt Shirley had created a beautiful party out on the back lawn, flowers and china and everyone in girly dresses. But most lovely of all was Melanie. I fell in love with her dress. It was my dream dress. Floral print. Georgette. Flowy. Bell/Cape Sleeve. Tea Length. Perfect Tea dress. I “pinned” it in my mind. That’s what we had to do back then. I knew that if I ever married – and hopefully that dashing Frank – that was the dress I wanted for my bridesmaids.  Furthermore… I had always hoped that if I could, I would provide the dresses for my bridesmaids. I had been in a couple of weddings and the expense was always difficult. It seemed like kind of a boobie prize to me. Hey, my dearest friends in the world, please be in my wedding so I can shove you over the precipice and into debt. Oh and make sure you check out my bridal registry! In January 1997, I was pretty h...

Weekend Treasure

  Here are some stock photos of the love seat, chair and ottoman we purchased on Saturday at the auction.  These pictures don't really do the set justice.  But we have determined that the retail price for these now discontinued pieces was $1899.  We topped out our auction at $500.00, so after sales tax and the 15% auction fee, we did pretty well.. paying approximately 1/3 of retail. As an added bonus, they were sold to us as "durahide" which means fake.  Frank and I used to say that Nogahide should have been named NOTaHide.  But after looking them up, they are 60% leather.. the parts that don't matter -the back, are not.  BONUS!  They are now all safely home and put away... where you say?  Where could you possibly have put all these lovely pieces of furniture? Oh, I forgot to mention that they are for the cabin.  The hope is that mice will be thoroughly repelled by the very idea of gnawing on cowhide.  And besides that, they ...

The Fourth

The Fourth didn't feel much like the Fourth here in Hawaii.  We were very surprised!  New Years Eve is a huge time of fireworks all around the beaches and everywhere you go.  But the Fourth, not so much.  We could have gone to one of three large fireworks shows on the islands, but we didn't feel like fighting traffic and people.  We opted for a drive around the island to explore new sights and places.  We drove through Hale'iwa town and investigated some kayaking rental places for later in the week.  We headed on up the island and around to the Turtle Bay area.  Years ago, my folks were blessed to be able to use a condo over in this area and always came home talking about the shrimp trucks.  If you know, or knew my folks, you probably know they aren't really "taco truck" sort of people.  However, we stopped at fumi's and picked up 2 pounds of fresh uncooked shrimp.  Never frozen, people! Heads, tentacles, and eyeballs still i...