Skip to main content
So the dress is done and Haley wore it Saturday afternoon to the Modesto Symphony Pops concert. She looked lovely. The jacket was clasped later with a vintage pin from my mother - an oval of sparkles.
She is planning on wearing it again on Friday night when we go to see the Nutcracker - the production that she auditioned for, but didn't get a part. She is looking forward to picking out some of her classmates in the production. But, although we were disappointed for her, we are all really glad at our consolation prize - Disney World!!

A week ago tonight, we had all of our pastoral staff over and other lay people that lead groups that we or the kids have been involved in over the past year. We had three desserts. That is all - aren't you proud of me! And this one, I even purchased at Costco and doctored up to save myself stress. I also made a cheesecake and topped it with peaches and peach jelly alla Ina Garten. But as the lights hit it for about an hour, it spilled over the edges and made the cheesecake a little gooey. I wasn't very happy about that. The other dessert - Frank's favorite was a pineapple upside down cake. Day before yesterday, the ants enjoyed finding it on our kitchen counter - even though it was under a glass dome.

The entire evening was so much fun and really a blessing to us! It ended up being one of the best parties we have ever hosted.
We leave for Disney World in t minus 36 hours - give or take! So it has been a little nuts around here. I have only two presents left to finish up, but I just couldn't do any more tonight. So I am sitting with my feet up. It's just that if it isn't done before we leave, it probably won't get done after - as we arrive back the 23rd.
SPOILER ALERT FOR FRANK !SMITH SPOILER ALERT FOR FRANK SMITH!
I have filled about six photo albums with photos from all of our doings over the past year - and am in the process of writing notes in the margins for Frank. He loves real photo albums and has been complaining that since the advent of digital cameras, I haven't been as willing to print out the pictures and put them in albums. My contention is that it takes up a ton of space and I blog!! (usually) But as a special treat and surprise retreat from my position, I am creating these for his present. He will be thrilled... the trick is getting the WDW photos in before Christmas.
I am putting the finishing touches on my niece Jenny's all hand made presents - actually, I think all I have to do is wrap it.
And then - tra la la - I am done!! I even have tons of fun freebies for stockings. In fact, I have so many extra freebies (especially girly things) that I am making a care package for Frank's niece, Jenny who is away at college! I also made the three grown up girls, Megan, Lauren and Jenny - home made vanilla and a home made foot soak. Along with cute retro jean aprons. It has really been fun doing Christmas on a shoe string.
Frank took today off to put the finishing touches on papers and finals for his two doctoral classes. He is trying like everything to get it all done by Friday. He doesn't have to turn it in until Tuesday- but as we are leaving for Disney World - we hope he will be leaving that stress behind him! It has been a really tough semester. But now it is time for a rest!
And great news! We paid off one of our major bills. Our hard work is paying off and we paid it off a month early. Next is the Van - but we know the tax man cometh - we have been paying our quarterlies right along, but I don't think that is going to quite cover it. So we will make sure we are clear after the first of the year and then really go after the van.
That's all for now, and possibly until we get home from Orlando.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Super Bowl Love Story

In late August 1996, I attended a bridal shower tea for my sister in law to be, Melanie Hull.  Her Aunt Shirley had created a beautiful party out on the back lawn, flowers and china and everyone in girly dresses. But most lovely of all was Melanie. I fell in love with her dress. It was my dream dress. Floral print. Georgette. Flowy. Bell/Cape Sleeve. Tea Length. Perfect Tea dress. I “pinned” it in my mind. That’s what we had to do back then. I knew that if I ever married – and hopefully that dashing Frank – that was the dress I wanted for my bridesmaids.  Furthermore… I had always hoped that if I could, I would provide the dresses for my bridesmaids. I had been in a couple of weddings and the expense was always difficult. It seemed like kind of a boobie prize to me. Hey, my dearest friends in the world, please be in my wedding so I can shove you over the precipice and into debt. Oh and make sure you check out my bridal registry! In January 1997, I was pretty h...

Weekend Treasure

  Here are some stock photos of the love seat, chair and ottoman we purchased on Saturday at the auction.  These pictures don't really do the set justice.  But we have determined that the retail price for these now discontinued pieces was $1899.  We topped out our auction at $500.00, so after sales tax and the 15% auction fee, we did pretty well.. paying approximately 1/3 of retail. As an added bonus, they were sold to us as "durahide" which means fake.  Frank and I used to say that Nogahide should have been named NOTaHide.  But after looking them up, they are 60% leather.. the parts that don't matter -the back, are not.  BONUS!  They are now all safely home and put away... where you say?  Where could you possibly have put all these lovely pieces of furniture? Oh, I forgot to mention that they are for the cabin.  The hope is that mice will be thoroughly repelled by the very idea of gnawing on cowhide.  And besides that, they ...

The Fourth

The Fourth didn't feel much like the Fourth here in Hawaii.  We were very surprised!  New Years Eve is a huge time of fireworks all around the beaches and everywhere you go.  But the Fourth, not so much.  We could have gone to one of three large fireworks shows on the islands, but we didn't feel like fighting traffic and people.  We opted for a drive around the island to explore new sights and places.  We drove through Hale'iwa town and investigated some kayaking rental places for later in the week.  We headed on up the island and around to the Turtle Bay area.  Years ago, my folks were blessed to be able to use a condo over in this area and always came home talking about the shrimp trucks.  If you know, or knew my folks, you probably know they aren't really "taco truck" sort of people.  However, we stopped at fumi's and picked up 2 pounds of fresh uncooked shrimp.  Never frozen, people! Heads, tentacles, and eyeballs still i...