Skip to main content
Okay, so we aren't here yet, but I thought it would be nice to take a minute to dream about where we will be in oh about 10.4 hours!! I'm sure I'll have lots of pictures to post next week. So here is what else has been going on around here.







Haley has been sick off and on, but well enough to decide last weekend that she would really, really like it if her mommy would make her a special Christmas dress. Now, really this came about because she tried on two dresses at Gottschalks that she really fell in love with, but they were wholly inappropriate. So, I convinced her that we could go to Joanne's right then and find a good pattern and make her a special dress. Well, that is exactly what we did. I also had a secondary motivation.... I know, much to her attempts to persuade me otherwise, that she isn't going to want me sewing home made things for her much longer. So, I'll take my chances where I can get them. I still have to hem it - it will fall at about mid calf and finish the hems. To line it, I used satin from the wedding dress costumes I made for the girls about 5 Christmas's ago. hacked off a couple of trains to make the old dresses from the good will fit them and decided to save it. Good thing, I used almost all of it and it makes a wonderful lining with lots of body and keeps her from feeling itchy!




Here is another little craft project I fooled around with while Frank was gone for a whole week - week before last. All of these buttons are from my mother and Frank's. I have always wanted to do something cute with them that wouldn't ruin them, so I poked them with pins into this ribbon covered Styrofoam wreath.



The tree same as usual... more lights out on it this year than last - I know Cathi, I wouldn't have that problem if I supported wonderful tree growing farmers like you guys!!





Here is the new plate rack decorated with Christmas Spode from my grandmother Victory and angels from Frank's mother. The angel doll from Ken and Sherri two Christmas's ago covers a couple of dings that still need to be painted over.

In other news, the sewing machine for Haley is great and only needs a thread spool pin - I guess those break easily, because that is what Eden's needed. Nolan's most desired present is coming together, because everyone is donating to the cause - He needs a performance amp to continue playing guitar for worship at Celebrate Recovery. So everyone in the family is getting him guitar center gift cards. He knows and is jazzed.

My new thrift thing is that I made my own shower spray. I got addicted to daily shower sprays such as Clean shower, etc. But it is a little pricey if you don't get it on sale and shower scum doesn't wait for sales so.... I made my own and let me tell you, it works better than the other!! I have been using it for two weeks and it works like a charm - at least on glass and tile which is what I have. Here's the recipe:

you'll need eight-ounces of distilled or mineral-free water

two-thirds of a teaspoon of spot rinse meant for electric dishwashers

two drops of degreasing dishwashing liquid

about one-sixth of a cup of hydrogen peroxide

and about one-sixth of a cup of isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Consider using mint-scented rubbing alcohol since it adds a clean fresh scent.

you could double this recipe to fill a standard old daily shower cleaning spray pump bottle.

Also can't wait, lots of freebies at Rite Aid and CVS on Friday - so I'll have to hit them up at the coast on Friday.

Comments

Beth said…
Oh Heather,
Where did you find that recipe for shower spray. I just sit here and shake my head at your ability to save a penny. I love it! I may even try it.

Love Haley's dress and can't wait to see it.

I don't know about you but I was so sleepy this after noon that I layed down and took a 2 hour nap. I guess the fresh air relaxed me. Today was so foggy and cold. It certainly isn't my favorite weather that is for sure.
I must get busy and download ALL my pix so I can blog.
Have a great week.
Love you
Beth

Popular posts from this blog

A Super Bowl Love Story

In late August 1996, I attended a bridal shower tea for my sister in law to be, Melanie Hull.  Her Aunt Shirley had created a beautiful party out on the back lawn, flowers and china and everyone in girly dresses. But most lovely of all was Melanie. I fell in love with her dress. It was my dream dress. Floral print. Georgette. Flowy. Bell/Cape Sleeve. Tea Length. Perfect Tea dress. I “pinned” it in my mind. That’s what we had to do back then. I knew that if I ever married – and hopefully that dashing Frank – that was the dress I wanted for my bridesmaids.  Furthermore… I had always hoped that if I could, I would provide the dresses for my bridesmaids. I had been in a couple of weddings and the expense was always difficult. It seemed like kind of a boobie prize to me. Hey, my dearest friends in the world, please be in my wedding so I can shove you over the precipice and into debt. Oh and make sure you check out my bridal registry! In January 1997, I was pretty h...

Weekend Treasure

  Here are some stock photos of the love seat, chair and ottoman we purchased on Saturday at the auction.  These pictures don't really do the set justice.  But we have determined that the retail price for these now discontinued pieces was $1899.  We topped out our auction at $500.00, so after sales tax and the 15% auction fee, we did pretty well.. paying approximately 1/3 of retail. As an added bonus, they were sold to us as "durahide" which means fake.  Frank and I used to say that Nogahide should have been named NOTaHide.  But after looking them up, they are 60% leather.. the parts that don't matter -the back, are not.  BONUS!  They are now all safely home and put away... where you say?  Where could you possibly have put all these lovely pieces of furniture? Oh, I forgot to mention that they are for the cabin.  The hope is that mice will be thoroughly repelled by the very idea of gnawing on cowhide.  And besides that, they ...

The Fourth

The Fourth didn't feel much like the Fourth here in Hawaii.  We were very surprised!  New Years Eve is a huge time of fireworks all around the beaches and everywhere you go.  But the Fourth, not so much.  We could have gone to one of three large fireworks shows on the islands, but we didn't feel like fighting traffic and people.  We opted for a drive around the island to explore new sights and places.  We drove through Hale'iwa town and investigated some kayaking rental places for later in the week.  We headed on up the island and around to the Turtle Bay area.  Years ago, my folks were blessed to be able to use a condo over in this area and always came home talking about the shrimp trucks.  If you know, or knew my folks, you probably know they aren't really "taco truck" sort of people.  However, we stopped at fumi's and picked up 2 pounds of fresh uncooked shrimp.  Never frozen, people! Heads, tentacles, and eyeballs still i...