Skip to main content

According to His Riches in Glory

Wow! God is so good.... I am just utterly amazed at the rich and varied ways He sends blessings into our lives. A couple of passages have come to mind on days when I have been surprised by God's provisions.

1 Kings 17:12-16 (The Message)

12 She said, "I swear, as surely as your God lives, I don't have so much as a biscuit. I have a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a bottle; you found me scratching together just enough firewood to make a last meal for my son and me. After we eat it, we'll die."
13-14 Elijah said to her, "Don't worry about a thing. Go ahead and do what you've said. But first make a small biscuit for me and bring it back here. Then go ahead and make a meal from what's left for you and your son. This is the word of the God of Israel: 'The jar of flour will not run out and the bottle of oil will not become empty before God sends rain on the land and ends this drought.'"
15-16 And she went right off and did it, did just as Elijah asked. And it turned out as he said—daily food for her and her family. The jar of meal didn't run out and the bottle of oil didn't become empty: God's promise fulfilled to the letter, exactly as Elijah had delivered it!

2 Kings 4:1-7 (The Message)
1 One day the wife of a man from the guild of prophets called out to Elisha, "Your servant my husband is dead. You well know what a good man he was, devoted to God. And now the man to whom he was in debt is on his way to collect by taking my two children as slaves."
2 Elisha said, "I wonder how I can be of help. Tell me, what do you have in your house?"
"Nothing," she said. "Well, I do have a little oil."
3-4 "Here's what you do," said Elisha. "Go up and down the street and borrow jugs and bowls from all your neighbors. And not just a few—all you can get. Then come home and lock the door behind you, you and your sons. Pour oil into each container; when each is full, set it aside."
5-6 She did what he said. She locked the door behind her and her sons; as they brought the containers to her, she filled them. When all the jugs and bowls were full, she said to one of her sons, "Another jug, please."
He said, "That's it. There are no more jugs."
Then the oil stopped.
7 She went and told the story to the man of God. He said, "Go sell the oil and make good on your debts. Live, both you and your sons, on what's left."

Don't you love that!

Our new policy around here has been to "shop at home first". And boy the shopping has been pretty good. Especially when you clean things out! I found flour in the freezer when I thought I was completely out. I found Christmas cards (not in the freezer) really cute ones, and plenty enough to send to all our friends. (just when I was about to order new photo cards of all of us) Not to mention that they perfectly fit into my holiday color scheme. (the one I apparently have been dreaming about at after Christmas sales for the past few years) All of my holiday papers match - I love that.

I have gone into my closet with an eye for new holiday church outfits. I mean I have been wearing the same boring things for several years and I was getting desperate. I adjusted one beautiful wool black and white window pane plaid skirt that I have never worn and made an outfit with a white shirt and cute black jacket that I got on deep discount several months ago at TJ Max - (a Michael Kors of project runway fame). I worked today to embellish an old white shirt with black buttons all over the collar and adjust the three quarter sleeves that I haven't liked. It looks great. I cut out a jumper out of fantastic boarder fabric in dark gray that I have had for years. I will sew that together tomorrow and I have another couple of ideas brewing in the back of my brain. I decided to look at things with the eyes I inherited from my grandmother. My mom's mom was one of the last of 13 children. She could make a rag over into something cute. Thanks Nana for the love of sewing.

Speaking of sewing -here's another blessing. Just when I was about to give up on a sewing machine for Haley for Chirstmas, I got a message tonight on freecycle to see if I still wanted one! Yes, Yes a thousand times yes I responded. I'm trusting it will be just the right thing for Haley.

Also, here is my redone little sewing nook.

Now I need some ideas for Holiday party on a shoe string! We are having the pastoral staff over and several people that have ministered to our family this year. About 12 couples in all. We are having a few desserts, slushy punch, coffee and hot apple cider - any ideas???

Comments

Cathi said…
small cheesecakes are always a good thing! And maybe homemade sugar cookies that Haley can decorate?
Love you!
Cathi
P.S. Card is in the mail!
Beth said…
When I called you this morning I was in the process of posting. I hadn't looked at anyone elses blogs.
Love what you wrote and how you are looking at "things" with a fresh eye.
I totally understand the mindset that your nana had. That was my moms as well. I remember how she took an old black & white tweed coat(don't know whos it was before) and totally remade it for me. I loved that coat...she had great taste, lots of class and a boat load of knowhow.
Loved the pic of the sewing closet. YOU ARE GOOD!!!!
No ideas at the moment for party food...sorry.
Love you
Beth

Popular posts from this blog

A Super Bowl Love Story

In late August 1996, I attended a bridal shower tea for my sister in law to be, Melanie Hull.  Her Aunt Shirley had created a beautiful party out on the back lawn, flowers and china and everyone in girly dresses. But most lovely of all was Melanie. I fell in love with her dress. It was my dream dress. Floral print. Georgette. Flowy. Bell/Cape Sleeve. Tea Length. Perfect Tea dress. I “pinned” it in my mind. That’s what we had to do back then. I knew that if I ever married – and hopefully that dashing Frank – that was the dress I wanted for my bridesmaids.  Furthermore… I had always hoped that if I could, I would provide the dresses for my bridesmaids. I had been in a couple of weddings and the expense was always difficult. It seemed like kind of a boobie prize to me. Hey, my dearest friends in the world, please be in my wedding so I can shove you over the precipice and into debt. Oh and make sure you check out my bridal registry! In January 1997, I was pretty h...

Weekend Treasure

  Here are some stock photos of the love seat, chair and ottoman we purchased on Saturday at the auction.  These pictures don't really do the set justice.  But we have determined that the retail price for these now discontinued pieces was $1899.  We topped out our auction at $500.00, so after sales tax and the 15% auction fee, we did pretty well.. paying approximately 1/3 of retail. As an added bonus, they were sold to us as "durahide" which means fake.  Frank and I used to say that Nogahide should have been named NOTaHide.  But after looking them up, they are 60% leather.. the parts that don't matter -the back, are not.  BONUS!  They are now all safely home and put away... where you say?  Where could you possibly have put all these lovely pieces of furniture? Oh, I forgot to mention that they are for the cabin.  The hope is that mice will be thoroughly repelled by the very idea of gnawing on cowhide.  And besides that, they ...

The Fourth

The Fourth didn't feel much like the Fourth here in Hawaii.  We were very surprised!  New Years Eve is a huge time of fireworks all around the beaches and everywhere you go.  But the Fourth, not so much.  We could have gone to one of three large fireworks shows on the islands, but we didn't feel like fighting traffic and people.  We opted for a drive around the island to explore new sights and places.  We drove through Hale'iwa town and investigated some kayaking rental places for later in the week.  We headed on up the island and around to the Turtle Bay area.  Years ago, my folks were blessed to be able to use a condo over in this area and always came home talking about the shrimp trucks.  If you know, or knew my folks, you probably know they aren't really "taco truck" sort of people.  However, we stopped at fumi's and picked up 2 pounds of fresh uncooked shrimp.  Never frozen, people! Heads, tentacles, and eyeballs still i...