Skip to main content
These are Haley's strawberries. She planted them and I water them. When she is done with school, it will be her job to water them. I love these pots and have always wanted to do one. I found this fun blue one at Raley's for about 19.99 last summer.
Here is where the bell peppers have just been planted. I ripped out some underperforming perinneals and replaced this nice sunny and loamy spot with the peppers. Next thing to do in this area is plant that cute blue and white pot in the chair with something that trails. Any ideas?
One of Frank's Margaret Hudson statues of a large mama quail is standing guard.
Here are the yummy tomatos. Planted about a month ago. The one of the left is a Beefsteak and the one on the right is an ACE VFN. Ace is a low acid variety and produces 7-8 ounce fruits. It is indeterminate which means that it continues to grow until the frost kills it. You can't see it, but I just converted the sprinkler to a drip head and there is a line to each plant burried under ground. This helps keep the weeds under control because there is no surface watering going on. Except the overflow from the hose to the right.
Next to Haley's playhouse is the third tomato plant. An extra one this year and in a new spot. I planted a grape tomato. I planted tomatoes here year before last, two against the playhouse, but only the one in front did well, because that one hogged all the afternoon sun. The other just got punie. In the old converted fountain I have chives and mint. The rest needs to be pulled and I need to get busy over here!
So here is what still needs to be done... In this hole, on the corner, by the little light... I think I am going to plant some cucumbers.


Pushed up against the lilies, I am getting a very large pot - my mother's day gift that I haven't picked out yet and we are going to plant bush beans in this with a tomato cage for support.



This is my basket of strawberries that was neglected to death during the very warm weather we had while we were on the cruise. How maddening. It took like an hour to put this thing together and hang and tend and now this. Well, I'm thinking, it wouldn't have produced enough strawberries to really matter anyhow, so we'll see if it even makes the to do list. It might just make the compost heap.

The computer is working well - I think I have the space bar working again. There was a little pebbley crumb under one of the little "spring" mechanisms. I decided to really get after it, after I checked replacement part prices. They keyboard would be about $99.00 for this model. And I can't see working a new laptop into our budget just now.

Especially since..... Nolan's car will be on the market shortly. His stick shift came off in his hand again. The mechanic warned us this would happen. There are stripped components. They would have to pull the transmission and replace the cap. At the least about a 5-600.00 job. If you have read this blog at all, you know we have put about a $1000.00 into it in the last quarter or so. So we towed it home and Nolan is planning to go out looking with Frank this weekend for something in the $3000-4000.00 range. A little help from us and little help from is Raley's savings will not completely wipe anybody out. We are going to keep the truck until the new car is brought over, as it has brand new, less than two week old tires so if they can be exchanged, we will.

Comments

Cathi said…
Sorry about your strawberries! And Nolan's car...what a bummer!

Some thoughts: something trailing for the pot in the chair...how about sweet peas? Or were you looking for something edible?

On the fence where you're planting bush beans in tomato cages, why not pole beans instead? They can grow right up the fence and you'd still have the front of the bed for something short, edible or otherwise.

Looks great, Heather. I'm so jealous of your weather where you can grow peppers and tomatoes without worrying about blight!

Popular posts from this blog

A Super Bowl Love Story

In late August 1996, I attended a bridal shower tea for my sister in law to be, Melanie Hull.  Her Aunt Shirley had created a beautiful party out on the back lawn, flowers and china and everyone in girly dresses. But most lovely of all was Melanie. I fell in love with her dress. It was my dream dress. Floral print. Georgette. Flowy. Bell/Cape Sleeve. Tea Length. Perfect Tea dress. I “pinned” it in my mind. That’s what we had to do back then. I knew that if I ever married – and hopefully that dashing Frank – that was the dress I wanted for my bridesmaids.  Furthermore… I had always hoped that if I could, I would provide the dresses for my bridesmaids. I had been in a couple of weddings and the expense was always difficult. It seemed like kind of a boobie prize to me. Hey, my dearest friends in the world, please be in my wedding so I can shove you over the precipice and into debt. Oh and make sure you check out my bridal registry! In January 1997, I was pretty h...

Weekend Treasure

  Here are some stock photos of the love seat, chair and ottoman we purchased on Saturday at the auction.  These pictures don't really do the set justice.  But we have determined that the retail price for these now discontinued pieces was $1899.  We topped out our auction at $500.00, so after sales tax and the 15% auction fee, we did pretty well.. paying approximately 1/3 of retail. As an added bonus, they were sold to us as "durahide" which means fake.  Frank and I used to say that Nogahide should have been named NOTaHide.  But after looking them up, they are 60% leather.. the parts that don't matter -the back, are not.  BONUS!  They are now all safely home and put away... where you say?  Where could you possibly have put all these lovely pieces of furniture? Oh, I forgot to mention that they are for the cabin.  The hope is that mice will be thoroughly repelled by the very idea of gnawing on cowhide.  And besides that, they ...

The Fourth

The Fourth didn't feel much like the Fourth here in Hawaii.  We were very surprised!  New Years Eve is a huge time of fireworks all around the beaches and everywhere you go.  But the Fourth, not so much.  We could have gone to one of three large fireworks shows on the islands, but we didn't feel like fighting traffic and people.  We opted for a drive around the island to explore new sights and places.  We drove through Hale'iwa town and investigated some kayaking rental places for later in the week.  We headed on up the island and around to the Turtle Bay area.  Years ago, my folks were blessed to be able to use a condo over in this area and always came home talking about the shrimp trucks.  If you know, or knew my folks, you probably know they aren't really "taco truck" sort of people.  However, we stopped at fumi's and picked up 2 pounds of fresh uncooked shrimp.  Never frozen, people! Heads, tentacles, and eyeballs still i...