
So, join me back in the present. It has been great sharing all of our happy travel journal times with everyone and knowing that I can go back and look at it any time I please is really cool. I often look back to discover just which hotel we enjoyed - or which one we didn't.
Last night Haley and I were talking with Frank at the dinner table. Frank and I were discussing our driving arrangements for the day - we are now a one car couple. Nolan has his truck and sometimes I can use it if he is home, but I digress.... I told Haley that she should walk home tomorrow and until I told her otherwise, she should continue walking home unless she sees us waiting for her with the car. We are right around the corner form her school and for half the walk she is in sight of the school and the other half she is in sight of home. She asked if I would come out and greet her and have something cold for her to drink.
Now being a stay at home mom, it is one of my pleasures to greet the family members as they come in the door. To be there. And as our friend Anita says, to be present. I don't always go out the door to greet Haley, I rarely have something special for a snack - although there is usually something to have.
It surprised me how important this time was to her. She had never expressed how much she enjoyed having a positive greeting and something to help her unwind after a long day. In fact, I just thought she took it for granted. Well, rest assured, I won't take her pleasure in those small things for granted again, myself.
Just now, as I have been watching for her, a nasty gang of 8 boys gathered at the corner, smoking, cursing and in general being unfriendly. This is the very corner she has to walk right by to get home. I knew she wouldn't want to walk by them, so I dashed out and escorted her around the corner. When I am present, she talks more, she shares more, we laugh more.
Here's to a plate of cookies!
Comments