Skip to main content

Thursday the 20th, we got up and went to a local bakery. For breakfast we had a delicious cheese and ham laden croissant and a chocolate one to share! Haley had a delicious looking cinnamon roll. We took it back and ate it in the room. Oh, the room was wonderful. A great, albeit typical Courtyard by marriot. The bathroom was a euroefficient delight. Spotless white and chrome. The bed was comfy and Haley enjoyed a great ‘cot’ probably the best rollaway she has ever had.


We headed over to a spectacular toy store this morning. Haley was amazed by the selection of ‘groceries’ for the playhouse. Not plastic ones by the way, but wooden hand painted delicacies of every sort. Little jams and honey pots, everything a little girl could possibly dream of. She purchased a wooden egg and an enamel mug with a little German boy on it. This is Haley in the aisle just for the playhouse things. Frank was blown away by the train selections – some of the engines were Euro 1870! Now, Haley and I are sitting in a very slick McDonalds. Frank wanted to go back down into the Marienplatz and visit Peterskirch. The plan is that we will catch the next train to Salzburg. Over the stereo system is Hall and Oats, “your kiss is on my lips” in English. It’s always fun to hear your own language!

The Munchens are very friendly, more so than the Frankfurters. Very helpful and willing to try their English out on you.

Haley is keeping a travel journal and has already sent a postcard back to Nolan. She picked up a really cute one at the toy museum. They had an amazing collection of Steiff bears. So of course, her postcard was a teddy bear!


At about 11:30 we caught a train from Munchen (pronounced Moonshen- Frank had a lesson from a couple of true Muncheners on the train!) to Salzburg. It was a lovely, snowy trip to the edge of the alps. Salzburg is at a higher elevation than Munich, so there is more snow on the ground. In fact when we arrived it was snowing quite hard – nice big flakes. We were so turned around when we came off the train, that we decided to pay the 6.00 euros and take a taxi. That was a good choice as we were heading in completely the wrong direction.

We are staying at the Hotel Markus Sittikus. It is okay – rather quirky. Old, with lots of character. The good news is that Haley has her own bed. It is also very central. Everything is within an easy walk.

We headed out for a nice lunch just around the corner at Sugelbrau, recommended by the hotel. I had a wonderful Mushroom Ghoulash with a delicious, gigantic dumpling. Wonderful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Super Bowl Love Story

In late August 1996, I attended a bridal shower tea for my sister in law to be, Melanie Hull.  Her Aunt Shirley had created a beautiful party out on the back lawn, flowers and china and everyone in girly dresses. But most lovely of all was Melanie. I fell in love with her dress. It was my dream dress. Floral print. Georgette. Flowy. Bell/Cape Sleeve. Tea Length. Perfect Tea dress. I “pinned” it in my mind. That’s what we had to do back then. I knew that if I ever married – and hopefully that dashing Frank – that was the dress I wanted for my bridesmaids.  Furthermore… I had always hoped that if I could, I would provide the dresses for my bridesmaids. I had been in a couple of weddings and the expense was always difficult. It seemed like kind of a boobie prize to me. Hey, my dearest friends in the world, please be in my wedding so I can shove you over the precipice and into debt. Oh and make sure you check out my bridal registry! In January 1997, I was pretty h...

Weekend Treasure

  Here are some stock photos of the love seat, chair and ottoman we purchased on Saturday at the auction.  These pictures don't really do the set justice.  But we have determined that the retail price for these now discontinued pieces was $1899.  We topped out our auction at $500.00, so after sales tax and the 15% auction fee, we did pretty well.. paying approximately 1/3 of retail. As an added bonus, they were sold to us as "durahide" which means fake.  Frank and I used to say that Nogahide should have been named NOTaHide.  But after looking them up, they are 60% leather.. the parts that don't matter -the back, are not.  BONUS!  They are now all safely home and put away... where you say?  Where could you possibly have put all these lovely pieces of furniture? Oh, I forgot to mention that they are for the cabin.  The hope is that mice will be thoroughly repelled by the very idea of gnawing on cowhide.  And besides that, they ...

The Fourth

The Fourth didn't feel much like the Fourth here in Hawaii.  We were very surprised!  New Years Eve is a huge time of fireworks all around the beaches and everywhere you go.  But the Fourth, not so much.  We could have gone to one of three large fireworks shows on the islands, but we didn't feel like fighting traffic and people.  We opted for a drive around the island to explore new sights and places.  We drove through Hale'iwa town and investigated some kayaking rental places for later in the week.  We headed on up the island and around to the Turtle Bay area.  Years ago, my folks were blessed to be able to use a condo over in this area and always came home talking about the shrimp trucks.  If you know, or knew my folks, you probably know they aren't really "taco truck" sort of people.  However, we stopped at fumi's and picked up 2 pounds of fresh uncooked shrimp.  Never frozen, people! Heads, tentacles, and eyeballs still i...