Skip to main content

I had to pop back to Munich for a moment and show you this fabulous picture. This florist was at the Viktualian market, They were everywhere with the most beautiful arrangements for Easter - especially featuring pussy willows, ribbons and birds.

More on Thursday March 20th.

Then we walked down to the Altstadt – old town.

We walked up the Geidergasse, bought a ticket to the Mozart birthplace museum and had a really nice time exploring that. The Geidergasse street is so fun to explore. This is a rare picture. I snaped a couple of pictures in the Mozart Birth House Museum before I was told that I couldn't take pictures. Oops!
We really enjoyed looking in the traditional European clothing stores. Haley has decided that she wants a traditional drindle dress with the vest and blouse and all. Unfortunately, the store we were shopping in only had 500 euro drindle dresses. When you put the whole outfit together with the boiled wool sweater you were upwards of 1000. euro. We decided we could do a wonderful job of it at home! Maybe even with fabric we already own!

We then walked up the rest of the street, explored a beautiful old church that appeared to be carved right out of the rock. We walked around the back way to the dom Platz and discovered the Faulkulum (train up a steep hill) to the hoehn fortress. Yes, my friend Gretchen has had a really good time telling me that she climbed up there on the walkway with a three year old in a stoller! But we decided to ride up!
When we arrived at the top, we discoved a delightful little restaurant and made a reservation for dinner – a window seat please!! The view was phenomenal. We walked around the deserted fortress marveling at the views all around Salzburg. We went back and had such a good dinner, we may return there again tomorrow night. Frank and I shared two wonderful dishes… A pork, beef and turkey medallion over ratatouille the other a delicious and very reasonable Mushroom stroudel. We decided that anything the Austrians decided to do with Mushrooms would be just fine with us. We then shared a traditional Sazlburg desert, a chocolate pudding (really cake) with ice cream, whipped cream and real chocolate sauce. It was out of this world.

After dinner with a last look at the snowy views from the fortress, at that very moment the clocks all over the city began to play and peel to see who could outdo the other. It was the most phenomenal moment, actually a moment that lasted about 10 minutes. As the last bell finally tolled and faded, Frank said it was a moment he would never forget. On a whim we went into the Dom Platz. A service was in progress, we stayed and enjoyed fabulous music. The acoustics were fantastic. Then Haley had her dinner at McDonalds. She had been with us the whole time, but wanted the taste of home.
She bought a darling knit hat with a huge pom pom on top. She is wearing it now as she sleeps. Ordinarily, she wouldn’t have really chosen something like this, but when in Rome! So after the McDonalds stop, we went across the river and walked down by the Hotel Sacher ( of famous Sacher Torte fame). We got home around 9:30 and have been enjoying a German version of Funniest Home Videos. Quite fun to watch, since you don’t really need to understand what they are saying and they love American music! Everywhere we have run into the friendliest people who are happy to speak English. Foreign travel lesson learned: Always have a reserved seat on the train if you are traveling in a small group and you want to sit together! Luckily our travel agent booked our next train with reserved seats. We were close and luckily all had great seat mates. We met Terry, a single middle aged man going from Munich to just outside Salzburg to ski. He lives in Frankfurt. He spoke wonderful English and enjoyed listening to Haley tell him all about home. He pointed out the Alps and was helpful with other tips about getting on and off the train. Our other seat mate was a young Russian student studying at a German University but he was on Easter holidays. Very friendly.

Comments

Cathi said…
Oh Heather! How wonderful of you to post so many pictures and descriptions of your trip! It looks COLD! But I know you're having a wonderful trip in spite of it. Doesn't Frank have to work while he's there? I received your parcel yesterday! Thank you so much, my friend...what a lovely gift and it came at the perfect time. Okay, we now have 52 days until our own tropical excellent vacation. How spoiled are we?
Love you!
Cathi

Popular posts from this blog

A Super Bowl Love Story

In late August 1996, I attended a bridal shower tea for my sister in law to be, Melanie Hull.  Her Aunt Shirley had created a beautiful party out on the back lawn, flowers and china and everyone in girly dresses. But most lovely of all was Melanie. I fell in love with her dress. It was my dream dress. Floral print. Georgette. Flowy. Bell/Cape Sleeve. Tea Length. Perfect Tea dress. I “pinned” it in my mind. That’s what we had to do back then. I knew that if I ever married – and hopefully that dashing Frank – that was the dress I wanted for my bridesmaids.  Furthermore… I had always hoped that if I could, I would provide the dresses for my bridesmaids. I had been in a couple of weddings and the expense was always difficult. It seemed like kind of a boobie prize to me. Hey, my dearest friends in the world, please be in my wedding so I can shove you over the precipice and into debt. Oh and make sure you check out my bridal registry! In January 1997, I was pretty h...

Weekend Treasure

  Here are some stock photos of the love seat, chair and ottoman we purchased on Saturday at the auction.  These pictures don't really do the set justice.  But we have determined that the retail price for these now discontinued pieces was $1899.  We topped out our auction at $500.00, so after sales tax and the 15% auction fee, we did pretty well.. paying approximately 1/3 of retail. As an added bonus, they were sold to us as "durahide" which means fake.  Frank and I used to say that Nogahide should have been named NOTaHide.  But after looking them up, they are 60% leather.. the parts that don't matter -the back, are not.  BONUS!  They are now all safely home and put away... where you say?  Where could you possibly have put all these lovely pieces of furniture? Oh, I forgot to mention that they are for the cabin.  The hope is that mice will be thoroughly repelled by the very idea of gnawing on cowhide.  And besides that, they ...

The Fourth

The Fourth didn't feel much like the Fourth here in Hawaii.  We were very surprised!  New Years Eve is a huge time of fireworks all around the beaches and everywhere you go.  But the Fourth, not so much.  We could have gone to one of three large fireworks shows on the islands, but we didn't feel like fighting traffic and people.  We opted for a drive around the island to explore new sights and places.  We drove through Hale'iwa town and investigated some kayaking rental places for later in the week.  We headed on up the island and around to the Turtle Bay area.  Years ago, my folks were blessed to be able to use a condo over in this area and always came home talking about the shrimp trucks.  If you know, or knew my folks, you probably know they aren't really "taco truck" sort of people.  However, we stopped at fumi's and picked up 2 pounds of fresh uncooked shrimp.  Never frozen, people! Heads, tentacles, and eyeballs still i...