After our fabulous sound of music tour – which I already blogged about
We went back to the hotel for a rest. Then headed back into the Altstadt. We shopped around, found an amazing store with thousands and thousands of eggs decorated for Easter. The people go around with cardboard egg cartons to pick their eggs. Amazing pictures to go with!! We also found a wonderful store specializing in the fabric for drindle dresses. I bought a magazine that included patterns. We conversed with difficulty with the salesgirls and discovered what they traditionally make the vest parts with is linen – linien. I think I can manage the directions on the patterns and what I can’t figure out I’ll go to the internet to discover.
Then we headed back up to the hohen Salzburg fortress for dinner. The picture is a view of Salzburg from the fortress. We are having the vegetable streudel again with mushroom sauce. After dinner we walked back to the hotel in the pouring rain. We were glad to get back in and get dried off.
This morning, up at 6:30 to prepare for our train trip to Wein – Vienna. The breakfast provided in the cost of our hotel was multiple rolls, meats, cheeses, juices, cereals, etc. It was in a darling room, decorated in blues and greens with tole painting on the walls and charming bench seats along the walls. After breakfast, we walked a very short distance to the train station and are now on the train. The countryside is beautiful. We are dashing through Alpine villages on the one side and low lying foothills on the other – some just barely dusted with snow. There are lots of houses with the typical wooden porches with lots of wooden fretwork. Some painted the most outrageous colors – but it all seems to work.
Haley has found a playmate on the train. A 9 year old girl, her mother is Austrian, her father from Seattle. But she mostly speaks German. They are having fun playing games on paper and there is lots of giggling going on. She has needed that sort of interaction. At the station in Salzburg, Haley needed to go to the bathroom. I am really glad I went with her – of course you would in that sort of situation – But, when we got there, the bathroom attendant was a man. We hadn’t yet encountered a pay situation yet, so that alone would have been confusing. We walked into the women’s and there was this seedy, kind of unofficial looking man. He pointed to the .50C sign and we paid, then he walked us into the bathroom, unlocked the door to each stall and locked each of us in! When we were finished he went in and wiped down each toilet. I don’t know what Haley would have done if I hadn’t been in there!!
Comments