Whenwe arrived in Neuburg we found ourselves at the base of a hill upon which sat a very broken down, although nicely lit up castle. The road to the castle looked like a walking path, but we headed up - as we had no other place to stay! Frank was wondering what sort of place I booked for the night and I was anxiously praying that everything would be alright.
Now we were driving a VW Fox. Not very big and a manual transmission at that. About half way up the very steep path, we noticed that the gate at the top was shut. Did I mention that there was not enough room for the car to turn around - not anywhere, not at the the top, not in the middle, not at all!! Frank slowed the car and pulled over a bit and I hoped out to see what it looked like near the top. The gate was locked. This was not our castle at all!!
Now we had no traction and could not get going back up the hill. The car would begin to roll backwards every time we tried to start back up the hill and now we knew there was no reason to go up at all. As I began to have my first panic attack..... Frank told me that we must now back the car up. (all the way down - at least two football field lengths.) Sooo, I got out and walked alongside the car holding my rolled down window and telling Frank when to turn a little this way, and a little that. At one point, I couldn't even walk beside the car, it was too narrow.
When we made it down the clutch was smelling very hot and Frank couldn't get it to go in gear. We sat there letting it cool down and called our castle, who graciously let us know we needed to add the "am Inn" to our input - which means on the river Inn.
Needless to say, we were mighty glad to get there and even more glad when we saw the lovely breakfast spread the next day.
Be sure and click the link to check out Schloss Neuburg's fabulous - though German- website.
">Link
Comments
It's so nice to hear snippets of your trip! I'm sure that when you and Frank are old, you'll be able to sit there in your rockers and laugh hysterically about this (mis)adventure : )
Cheers,
Cathi